Chapter Nineteen (Part One)

"It don't matter where I'm falling,
Cause I can't get my mind right,
I need to pull it together if there's no one to catch me."

....

Marti gently nudged Adora during their English class on Friday afternoon.
"Hey, you were really quiet yesterday in maths, and lunch... Are you OK?" She asked.
Adora look up from her book and blinked a few times. "Yea, it's just been some kind of week. I've been pretty disconnected." Adora gave her a small smile.
Marti bit her lip and looked down to her notes on Macbeth. She was all caught up thanks to Adora, but she was missing friendship and company.
"Did you want to hang out?" She started to doodle in the margin of her page. "Like, a sleepover?"
Adora put her pen to her mouth and chewed on it thoughtfully. "Well, maybe..." She frowned. "No, yes. Definitely, you should come over, you're the only Taylor who hasn't seen the Escape yet!"
Marti's smile grew as she nodded. Adora's thoughtful frown had turned into a large smile and Marti felt excitement bubbling in her stomach. "Tonight?" She asked. "I can get Mum or Dad to drop us off after I pick up some stuff?"
"I'll text Mum, but she should be fine with it, I don't think we have anything big this weekend." Adora pulled her mobile out carefully from her bag, keeping it hidden under the table as the teacher wrote more work on the whiteboard in front of the classroom.
Marti watched the secretive text and struggled to sit still. "Maybe on Saturday you can sleep at mine? Like a swap!"
"That sounds awesome!" Adora dropped her phone back into the front pocket of her bag and scribbled some notes onto her page.
"Has anyone told you that your handwriting is impossible?" Marti grinned.
"Oh gosh yes... Brett and Will constantly need me to rewrite the music. I should just stop writing it and just straight print it from the computers, but the chords aren't always right."
Marti felt an old, familiar excitement growing inside at the idea of having a girls' weekend. She hadn't had a real one since Liss had asked Will out.
"I hope its alright with your mum. I already can't wait." Marti bounced in her seat a little with a grin at Adora.
"I'm sure it will be fine. Mum's used to visitors, it's our business! It really only matters where we decide to sleep, like, there's my room of course, if you don't mind sharing a bed, or we can ask if there's an empty cabin we can use for the night."
"I'm so fine bed sharing. Liss and I used to share every time we had sleepovers. She used to love playing with my hair. Her's was short, so it was no fun. She'd let me sketch her and she would do all these ridiculous poses, but then... Sometimes she'd do really beautiful ones..." Marti's excitement dwindled and she suddenly went from overexcited to solemn.
She could feel Adora's worried eyes on her. "Well, you can play with my hair? I'm not too sure about posing... I've never really done anything like that, except pretending to be dead for the murder mysteries..."
Marti blinked and sniffed a sting back into her sinus passages. "I would love to play with your hair." She reached out to Adora's long, dark ponytail and put a hand through it. "It's so soft, and thick."
Adora laughed. "Well, you can play with it, I've never really had anyone play with my hair. Most of my hanging out has been with the boys or the band. Well, the last few years anyway. I used to do girly things back in primary school."
"It's funny how things change in life isn't it?" Marti mused, the feeling of Adora's hair still lingered around her fingers. "Has your mum replied yet?"
Adora reached down discretely into the front pocket. A few moments later she was looking at Marti with a mischievous grin. "She said yes and offered to buy junk food."
The excitement was overwhelming and Marti couldn't help but let out a little squeal. A few other students turned and looked at her when the noise came out, and she covered her mouth, trying not to laugh.
"I have this insatiable need to run around like mad to burn the excitement I have right now." She hissed towards Adora.
"Well, good thing it's lunchtime soon." Adora giggled behind a hand.
Marti nodded enthusiastically and tried to calm her excitement down with a few deep breaths. "This is going to be the best weekend I've had for so long." She told Adora.
Adora was obviously taken aback by Marti's excitement but she smiled broadly and tried not to laugh as Marti jiggled in her seat.