Chapter Fifty-Three

"I look up to the sky with tears in my eyes,
And a pain in my chest,
Beating the life from the only good thing I had left,
I won't be holding my breath."

....

I tried hard not to think about their date. Everyone knew it was happening, we all knew where and how long and when.
But what were they doing?
What were they saying?
When we passed the beach I could see them, sitting on the sand. It was too cold for many people to be out, but there they were; right in front of the rough ocean.
I couldn't handle it.
I knew I had to do something, and I had to do it fast.
She was mine, and I had her.
I was not going to lose her to anyone.
I had her.
Nobody was going to replace me or take her away from me.
He could try, but I wasn't going to let him.
I had panicked when Debbie's parents had rung around. I should have taken her phone like I did Gus', at least then I could have sent texts and pretended she had run away.
I should have written a note like I did for Liss.
Impulsive actions, I couldn't fix them.
I couldn't make another mistake like Debbie; I had to plan every move from now on.
I needed tape, time and to check the tides.

It was freezing cold, and I stood at the front door, wrapped in my jacket. The sun was starting to rise and everything was wet from the storm that had happened during the night.
The front door opened and Will came out and smiled.
"This is way too early for a ride, you know that right?" He held out his spare helmet and I nodded.
"I know, but I want to set up some surprises for the photo shoot tonight."

We rode to the cliff car park and I leaned back on the passenger pad. The engine purred underneath our legs and I lifted one leg off and got off the bike before Will realised and started to push it.
"What are you doing?" Will's feet tapped the ground as the bike approached the edge of the cliff. "Stop!"
As the front wheel went over he cried out in surprise and I stood and watched the bike crush his leg on the sand below.
A smile crossed my face and I descended the stairs.

When I reached Will and his bike, he was struggling to lift his bike off his leg. I could see the pain in his face as he wrenched his leg out from underneath the metal and sand.
"Help me get it off." He grunted.
I stood over him for a few moments before I lifted the handles of the bike.
He cried out in pain and was free from the weight of his motorbike.
His helmet was in the sand near a rock.
"I think my leg is broken." He put his hands to his leg and I just nodded.
"I imagine so."
He looked up in confused pain. "You pushed me..."
"Yea." I grabbed his arms and started to drag him along the sand.
"What are you doing? Stop!" He tried to struggle, but with his crushed leg he didn't have much fight in him.

The waves lapped the low tide between the walls and I tried to ignore him as the water soaked my shoes.
The morning light disappeared the deeper into the cave we went.
His struggle faded as I dragged and the light vanished. He knew he was beaten.
I was lucky they hadn't searched the cave. Debbie's body was still taped up on the rocks, her face down in one of the cold pools.
She would be the weight that kept Will here.
"What are you doing?"
"Eliminating the competition." My voice was flat and strong. His was wavering from pain.
"Stop, please."
The first place I put the tape was his mouth.
He didn't expect it and his eyes grew wide. I could see their fear even in the cave's darkness. His hands moved to try and take the tape off and the action allowed me to grab his wrists.
I put my foot under his back and rolled him onto his side.
He made similar sounds to those Liss had.
"Shut up." I hissed as the grunts echoed around me.
My heart tore, but my face remained angry.
"I said shut up, shut up, shut up!" I grabbed a rock and slammed it against his temple.
Will went limp and I let go of a long, shuddering breath.

It was over, I won.