Kaz and Inej

"Happy birthday, Kaz!"

He only raised his eyebrows at Inej.

She sighed, sitting on the edge of his desk, holding her present for him. "Are you going to say anything?"

He shrugged. "What do you want me to say?"

She put the box directly on top of his papers. "Open it."

He sighed, peeling the paper off of the box and opening it. "Woah."

She smiled. "Do you have an answer?"

In the box was a ring with a note in her writing. A note with a very important question on it.

He looked up at her with wide eyes. She slowly reached out with a shaking hand.

He removed his gloves.

He took her hand.

Kaz pulled the ring out of the box. "I was supposed to ask you."

Inej was starting to grow impatient. She wanted his answer. She needed his answer.

"My answer," he leaned forward, brushing the hair out of her face, "is yes."

She practically fell off the desk into his arms, a big grin on her face. 

He smiled at her, his arms wrapped around her lean frame. "What about your time at sea?"

Inej shifted awkwardly. "I don't know. But we'll make it work."

He slowly pressed his forehead to hers, his eyes flickering closed. She took a deep breath. This was what she wanted.

"Kaaaaaaaz!"

They broke apart, Inej rolling off of Kaz and falling onto the floor. He leaped to his feet, pulling his gloves on and straightening his jacket.

Wylan burst into the room, his eyebrows furrowed. "Kaz!"

Kaz sighed, relaxing. "What is it?"

Wylan coughed awkwardly, glancing at Inej, who was laying on the floor. "I thought we were all going to dinner together."

Inej laughed at the look on Kaz's face. He looked bewildered and confused. "Uh... yeah... I guess?"

Wylan finally noticed the ring in Kaz's hand. "Oh... yeah... we'll be at dinner. You can meet us there if you want."

The boy scrambled out of the room, pulling the door closed behind him.

Inej glanced back at the ring. "Dinner?"

Kaz pulled her close. "I suppose, my dear."

****

Nina crouched in the vents and watched the scene play out. She watched Kaz take off his gloves and hold Inej's hand. She watched him say yes. She watched Wylan run into the room.

She wanted to squeal. It was so adorable to watch Kaz and Inej finally agree to get married. For the past three years, she had been watching them, prepared for the day it would happen.

Nina quickly exited the vents, excited to meet her friends at dinner. It would be her first time seeing them in a year. Other than just now, watching Kaz, Inej, and Wylan.

****

Inej skipped down the snowy street, her hand in Kaz's gloved one. She was wrapped in one of his wool coats, a scarf pulled around her ears.

Kaz smiled at her. He couldn't help the joy he felt when he was around her. When she had been gone, he forced himself to try to be better. For her. And for Wylan and Jesper. But mostly her.