Chapter Three: Failing

CHAPTER THREE

With her fur smoothed down and well-groomed, Winterkit was ready for her ceremony. Her mother and littermates had just woke up and Slateleaf was outside the den, waiting to retrieve us from the nursery to do the ceremony. Cloudsong didn't groom her pelt, but she did groom Moonkit and Twigkit. She had to groom herself, which she gladly did. After this ceremony her mother and father couldn't boss her around anymore.

Flowerstem and Lightheart had went outside to wait for the beginning of the ceremony. She had apologized to Lightheart who said it was no big deal and that was that. The guilt went away as soon as Lightheart accepted her apology.

Beestar's yowl echoed through the clearing and she mewed something and then Slateleaf stuck his head in the den and told us to follow him. Cloudsong and her two littermates followed him out first and she slipped out last.

Lionfur and Clumsystep cleared the camp and right now the snowing had stopped. She walked through the clearing with her head held high and very easily. Everyone was watching them silently.

We lined up in front of Beestar, gazing up at her. She was on the hazel branch. "Moonkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw. Your mentor will be Clumsystep. I hope Clumsystep will pass down all he knows on to you." The warrior stepped forward next to her sister. "Clumsystep, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Slateleaf, and you have shown yourself to be brave and strong. You will be the mentor of Moonpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her." They touched noses and moved to the side.

Now Beestar's eyes landed on Twigkit. "Twigkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Twigpaw. Your mentor will be Stonefang. I hope Stonefang will pass all he knows on to you." Stonefang also stepped forward next to Twigpaw. "Stonefang, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Cometmoon, and you have shown yourself to be skilled in battle and courageous. You will be the mentor of Twigpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

They touched noses just like Moonpaw and Clumsystep and also moved to the side, whispering quietly.

Winterkit looked up at Beestar who smiled down at her.

Beestar did her ceremony now, "Winterkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Winterpaw. Your mentor will be Strikefang. I hope Strikefang will pass down all he knows on to you." Strikefang padded up next to her. "Strikefang, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Wasptail," she flinched when she said her mother's name, "and you have shown yourself to be intelligent and honest. You will be the mentor of Winterpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Winterpaw." Beestar swallowed hard, Winterpaw could see she was tensed up.

She faced her new mentor and they touched noses, she heard him whisper to her, "I will not disrespect you like they have." And then he pulled away.

Her eyes were wide as she gazed at him. He knows what I have been going through? Her pelt prickled with happiness. She wanted to thank him and jump up and down with excitement, but she didn't. She held herself down.

Strikefang watched Stonefang and Clumsystep begin to leave camp, her littermates following excitedly. They were talking about the RiverClan border.

"We will head to the ThunderClan border," he purred and then led the way out of camp and she followed, her excitement rising with every step. Her first step out of camp! She gazed around in amazement, seeing the giant pine trees looming over her. They still had their needles despite the snow and the ground was barely covered in the snow. Most of it was up in the pine tree.