Chapter Seventeen: I Have a Place

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Rushing water and the sound of birds chirping filled her ears as she walked along the RiverClan border with Stonefang, Creampaw, and Dovesong following after her talking about the upcoming Gathering in a quarter moon.

"Wintersky, greetings." Curlfeather was suddenly on the other side of the border, gazing at her with blue eyes.

She dipped her head to Curlfeather, glad Mudstorm wasn't on her patrol. "Hello. Good to see you," she mewed flatly as Stormheart walked up beside her and a silver she-cat she hadn't seen before padded up too. "How is RiverClan?"

Curlfeather smiled lightly. "RiverClan is thriving. This is one of our new apprentices, Silverpaw." She flicked her tail to the silver she-cat who dipped her head to the ShadowClan cats respectfully. "How is ShadowClan?"

Wintersky didn't smile back. ShadowClan, in her opinion, couldn't get worse. Lionfur put Wintersky on every patrol, except for the battle training ones, and when there wasn't a patrol, Wintersky got to change bedding and search for ticks and eat whatever scraps Lionfur threw at her, which wasn't a lot. She was exhausted, she didn't sleep at all considering she was on the dusk patrol, the moonhigh patrol, and the dawn patrol. Plus she got to watch two kits fight like they were senior warriors. Poor Whisperpaw had so much work to do every day with healing wounds that didn't need to exist.

"We're fine," she snapped at Curlfeather and lashed her tail, not feeling like talking to anyone right now. "Now get away from the border before I make you." Her eyes narrowed.

The RiverClan cats looked surprised at her sudden fury. "You can't speak to us like that," Stormheart mewed, getting into a defensive crouch. He looked insulted and hurt. "You can't make us do anything!"

Stonefang quickly stepped forward, smiling. "Don't mind Wintersky, she has bees in her fur," he told them in amusement and Wintersky flashed her teeth to the cats. "We will get away from here. Quickly!" He pushed Wintersky away and she stumbled a few pawsteps before whipping around and stomping away, hearing the others slowly follow after her.

"What was that?" Stonefang exclaimed, now walking beside her steadily.

She glanced at him with fierceness. "I am tired of being treated like an apprentice and being worked sunrise to sunrise. Lionfur cannot treat me this way!" Her tail lashed in anger. "I am a loyal, hard-working, determined, kind warrior of ShadowClan!" She bursted into camp, her eyes searching the clearing until she spotted the yellow she-cat who was gazing at her with coldness. "You!" she spat and marched right over.

"How may I assist you?" Lionfur asked with amusement in her eyes.

Wintersky bared her teeth and crouched down low, feeling gazes burning into her pelt. "You do not get to treat me like this!" She felt herself getting dizzy, but pushed it aside. "Fight me!" she snarled.

Lionfur tilted her head at Wintersky and smiled. She dropped down into a skilled fighting crouch. "Let's fight!" Her eyes shined in excitement.

She was a little surprised, but she held her ground. "Very well." She lashed out at Lionfur's shoulder, but she dodged it and rolled to the side and Wintersky felt claws pierce her side and blood gush out.

"Stop! Stop, Lionfur!" Wintersky watched Stonefang step in between them, shielding Wintersky from her now bloody fur. "You're going to kill her!"

Her vision was getting blurry and she flopped down to the ground, taking in a deep breath as Whisperpaw rushed to her side. She felt like she couldn't breath anymore. She was weak, this was clear. Did Lionfur plan this? Her dizziness overcame her and she blacked out.