Chapter Eleven: Beestar

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The sun was sinking when pawsteps interrupted her thoughts. Mudstorm and Twigstreak entered camp, both carrying a brown bundle of fur. One was hanging limply and the other was mewing loudly. Everyone's eyes flickered to them in surprise and Puddleheart instantly rushed over to them.

"What is this?" Beestar asked, rising from her sunning spot under the hazel branch and padding to the kits. "Where did you find them?"

Mudstorm looked at Wintersky. "They're mine. The mother wishes to remain a secret," he mumbled through the limp kit's fur. "This one didn't make it. This one, is Oakkit." He nodded to the one Twigstreak held.

It had been a half-moon since she learned Curlfeather, a RiverClan cat, was going to have Mudstorm's kits and a half-moon since her sister, Moonshine, moved to the nursery expecting Clumsystep's kits. ShadowClan was thriving and within a quarter moon Yellowkit and Creamkit would be apprenticed.

"Flowerstem!" Beestar called, staring at the dead kit. "Can you nurse another until Moonshine's kits come?" she asked, turning to the yellow she-cat.

The queen nodded, smiling warmly and taking the small tom from Twigstreak. "Of course," she purred softly and padded to the nursery with Oakkit dangling in her jaws and Mudstorm slowly trailed after.

She hoped the little kit would survive through the night and her eyes flickered to Echobreeze who was sitting at the edge of the clearing, her face grim. She knew, but no one else seemed to noticed, they were all trying to peer into the nursery while Sleekfeather sat in the middle of the clearing, obviously annoyed.

"Leave the kit alone!" Beestar snapped at the warriors and they instantly spread out away from the nursery, eyeing each other. Beestar seemed annoyed and she sat next to her deputy.

Wintersky gazed at the leader. Something was definitely bugging her. She wasn't low on lives or anything, she knew that for a fact. They had plenty of kits and prey was running well. Puddleheart had a full storage... Puddleheart! She frowned for the poor she-cat. She was worried about her brother's health. He had grown silent since Feathersong died and his muzzle was tinged gray. He didn't have another apprentice yet. What would ShadowClan do without a medicine cat?

Stonefang was now standing next to her, his eyes glowing. "I've been thinking about kits lately, actually..."

Fear struck her. She hadn't even thought about having kits yet! She was far too busy training Ravenpaw. Stonefang looked excited though, but she definitely did not want to think about kits right now, but she smiled and nodded at her mate anyways.

"W-What about them?" she mumbled, avoiding his gaze.

He brightened up. "Having them, mouse-brain!" he purred and nudged her. "Don't you want kits?"

She nodded, knowing it was her duty as a she-cat to actually have kits. "Of course I want them. Just, maybe not until Ravenpaw is a warrior..." This wasn't entirely true. She really didn't want them at all. Kitting seemed painful and she-cats had died from it. Plus at least eight moons away from warrior duties did not seem like fun. Her fear rose in her chest.

Stonefang was still smiling. "Of course." He licked her cheek and then padded over to the night patrol that was waiting at the entrance for him, flashing a smile to Wintersky as they exited.

Wearily, Wintersky padded to her nest and laid down, wrapping her tail tightly around herself and listening as the other warriors entered and settled down. She let sleep overcome her.

***

"Puddleheart! Puddleheart!" a panicked voice and a yowl of pain echoed through the dark clearing and the cats sleeping around her were sitting up in confusion, slowly exciting the den.