Chapter Twenty-One: It Wasn't Worth It

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"Cats of ShadowClan, I have an announcement!" Beestar's voice echoed around the clearing and Wintersky glanced back at the nursery where her kits were snuggled together sleeping. "Whisperpaw has recently discovered she can speak!"

Shock went through the Clan and the little gray medicine cat's eyes were shining. She looked happy and excited, Wintersky had never seen her like this before. Puddleheart was standing next to her with a wide smile and Wintersky was in shock.

The medicine cat apprentice stood up. "I am keeping on the path of a medicine cat apprentice, however," she mewed in a very soft voice. It was something that Wintersky could fall asleep to. Her voice was magnificent.

Everyone was silent for a few heartbeats, but then the Clan roared with happiness for the she-cat and they cheered her name. Lionfur was even cheering.

Beestar flicked her tail at Whisperpaw and Lionfur to follow her and Lionfur flicked her tail at Wintersky to come too. She hesitantly followed the cats into the leader's den and Beestar was settled into her nest. Puddleheart slipped in after them.

"I have news," Whisperpaw mewed, nodding to Wintersky with a smile. "I heard Crowfrost and Tawnypelt in the forest. Crowfrost went to the Moonpool and got his nine lives and name: Crowstar. He also has a Clan, StrikeClan." She looked concerned about the information she just gave up.

Lionfur looked startled. "What?! He can't do that! There has always been the four Clans and SkyClan." Her tail lashed and her eyes narrowed. "Beestar, what are we going to do?" She looked furious at this discovery.

The leader looked angry too. It was the first emotion Wintersky had seen besides sadness from her. "Puddleheart, can we prepare for battle?" Her eyes flashed with anger as she looked at the old medicine cat. "It's time we teach Crowstar a lesson."

Puddleheart nodded firmly. "I am strongly with you on this battle. Whisperpaw and I will begin gathering herbs and preparing right away!" His tail lashed and he looked mad too.

We all nodded in agreement and Wintersky added in, "Kits or no kits I am fighting in this battle." She met Beestar's gaze. "You cannot stop me."

She looked hesitant but nodded in agreement. "Very well. After the Gathering in a quarter moon we will attack." Beestar smiled evilly. "Start training everyone," she ordered Lionfur.

Wintersky slipped out of the den and padded across the clearing to the nursery. She slipped inside and instantly recognized the gray tom looming over the kits. Stonefang turned and smiled to her.

"Sorry, Flowerstem wanted to go for a walk so I took over," he purred softly and gazed down at Snowkit and Fallenkit with happy eyes.

She sat beside him and intertwined their tails before gazing down at the sleeping kits. Snowkit was stretched out so she was sleeping on top of her brother and Fallenkit was laying on his stomach with his head in between his paws. They looked peaceful.

"We have some beautiful kits, Wintersky," Stonefang purred softly and then rose to his paws. "I have to go on a patrol but I'll be back later." He licked her muzzle and padded out of the den without another word.

She gazed down at her kits with warmth. At first she wasn't sure she wanted kits, but now she was sure. They were the most precious things she'd ever laid her eyes upon. She wouldn't give up on her kits, they would be her everything.

***

"Mom!" Fallenkit wailed and Wintersky looked at the gray tabby tom as he raced over to her, his shining blue eyes full of joy. His eyes matched Wintersky's perfectly. "Lionfur said Snowkit and I aren't allowed to train yet!" he whinned and Snowkit padded up behind him, tilting her head.