Chapter Ten: Wise Choices

CHAPTER TEN

The medicine den was packed full when Wintersky joined it, but tonight was the Gathering and the chance for Beestar to alert the Clans of the disloyal cats that walked among them. Beestar picked a deputy when the sun rose, Sleekfeather. The whole Clan approved her choice, especially Wintersky. Sleekfeather was popular in all the Clans and a good leader.

Wintersky was already picked to go to the Gathering along with Sleekfeather, Puddleheart, Junipernose, Cometmoon, who was better now, Twigstreak, Moonshine, and Spikefur. Only Dawnpelt, Strikefang, Shadowclaw, and Kinkfur remained in the medicine den now, the only one not showing signs of getting better was Kinkfur.

The snow stopped coming and the sun seemed to get warmer as three sunrises past since Tawnypelt was exiled. This made the Clan feel better, if anything.

"Let's go, we're heading to the Gathering!" Wintersky heard Sleekfeather yowl and excitement slashed through her pelt as she waved goodbye to the Kinkfur and Strikefang, the only two sick cats who were in the den right now, and slipped out of the den, instantly seeing Stonefang sitting across the clearing with Lionfur.

Stonefang hadn't came to see Wintersky at all, like he was avoiding her. And even now he didn't looked at her, he just nodded at Lionfur who was smiling widely while Wintersky joined the patrol, getting shoved by Moonshine and Twigstreak who padded forward to stand by Junipernose.

The kits in the nursery barged out to watch the Gathering cats go. At sunrise tomorrow, Ravenkit and Dovekit would become apprentices. Dovekit was clearly going to Mudstorm and as for Ravenkit, no one was sure, besides Beestar of course. Wintersky was sure that Moonshine or Twigstreak would get him.

As they padded out of camp, Wintersky set one last glance to Stonefang and then rushed out after her Clanmates, excited to be apart of the patrol that Beestar picked especially for the Gathering, but also a little worried on how the other Clans would react to what Beestar would say about their own Clanmates.

They picked their way through the melting snow, the trees, and the bushes while darkness encased them, the full moon giving them some light as they raced towards RiverClan border, and it appeared ahead.

Wintersky knew that this would be her first Gathering as a warrior and Beestar would announce her name tonight, along with her siblings. She quivered at the thought, worry pricking her paws as Beestar waded through the river in RiverClan territory, Sleekfeather, Puddleheart, Junipernose, Moonshine, and Twigstreak following after and Wintersky slowly took her time to wade through the water, the bottom sandy against her paws.

She heard Cometmoon and Spikefur follow in behind her and Cometmoon let out a quiet gasp at the cool water but after that, there was no noise until she came up onto the bank on the other side and the murmur of cats got louder. RiverClan was just ahead.

"Be nice," Beestar ordered in a hush voice and padded forward, keeping her head high as they neared the Island and met up with the RiverClan warriors, recognizing Mistystar, Reedwhisker, Willowshine, Shadestream, who she hadn't seen in awhile, Stormheart, Misteyes, Podlight, and Mintfur, all of them glaring at the ShadowClan warriors. "Please, cross the log first," Beestar mewed to Mistystar in a kind voice.

The RiverClan leader grinned and jumped onto the log, the rest of her warriors following and some murmuring comments like, "Yeah, kittypets wait in line." Wintersky resisted the urge to claw their ears off and instead waited until it was their turn to cross.

When she jumped onto the log, Twigstreak in front of her and Cometmoon behind her, she knew ThunderClan was already there, but WindClan was missing. Her pelt heated up in unease. What had happened to the WindClan warriors?