Chapter 14

Murtagh sighed with fatigue. He approached the King-stopped at the first step-and knelt. "What do you want me to swear?"

Galbatorix relayed oaths of fealty to him in the ancient language, which Murtagh repeated. He did not understand everything he was bound to but he knew its overall meaning. He was now Galbatorix's slave.

Once finished an expression of satisfaction took over Galbatorix's face. He sat silent for a minute before leaning forward on his throne and announcing, "There's one more thing I want you to know. Your true name."

Then he whispered something, so faint Murtagh wouldn't have thought he said anything at all if not for the involuntary shiver he felt. Galbatorix's expression changed to one of perverted pleasure, then he spoke louder, and Murtagh heard him clearly.

This time he could not help but cry out. His knees gave and struck the floor with a thud, his hands reached up and tore at his hair. Murtagh felt hot tears strike his cheeks and waves of mixed emotion crashed over him after hearing his name. His name was flawed. It contained bitterness, loathing, and much anger. But there was strength to it to, he was a survivor, and he was strong enough to do what he thought he needed to be do to protect himself and the ones he loved.

He looked to Thorn, who stared at him with glistening ruby eyes. The hatchling was still too young to communicate with words, but Murtagh realised that he knew how he felt, and he wondered if the dragon approved, or was disappointed in the human he had decided to bond with.

"Congratulations, Murtagh." He glanced up at the throne to see Galbatorix standing, his arms stretched up in a gesture of celebration, or triumph. "You are now my highest servant. You and Thorn should rejoice. You will live forever, and you will help build the greatest civilisation anyone has ever known." Galbatorix descended the stairs and placed a hand on Murtagh's shoulder. "Rise, son of my friend. You are now truly at home."

Murtagh opened his mouth to speak, but only a gurgle came out. "Speechless I see. That's understandable, now that you will be my right hand. You will be..." Galbatorix began a speech, one with pretty words, not unlike that one he had given after that dinner on Murtagh's eighteenth birthday. Although this time, Murtagh didn't listen. He stared off into the distance, letting the Kings musical voice wash over him but not take any affect.

"What about Lorena." Murtagh's voice was barely a whisper, then he looked up at Galbatorix-who stopped midsentence-and spoke louder, "What about Lorena? I don't even know if she's still alive."

"I have no intention of killing her. She's," Galbatorix seemed to ponder his words, "serving me in a different way. A way in only a quality woman can."

Murtagh stared up at him in a mixture of uncertainty, and a growing sense of despair. "What have you done?"

Galbatorix examined a fingernail and spoke as if lost in thought, "I understand now why you told her you love her, she tastes very sweet indeed." He turned his attention back to Murtagh, a sick and twisted smile tugging at his thin lips. "I've only managed to have her a couple times but I'll definitely continue to enjoy her as often as possible."

A hollow feeling crept inside of him as he watched the King. The colour drained from his face, and he stood stunned, not wanting to believe what he was being told. "You didn't." He muttered more to himself. However Galbatorix's demeanour remained the same, and Murtagh realised it was true. The colour burst back onto his face and the hollow feeling was replaced with an untempered fury. "How dare you. How dare you lay a finger on her!"

"How dare I?" He repeated angrily, "I am the King of Alagaësia, I am the leader of the Riders, I am the most powerful magician there is! There is no one who can question me. I, am, perfection."