Chapter 4

As the glow around the fire started to fade and the kids were slowly getting into there sleeping bags. Hungry and tired, the sound of foot step woke everyone else up again. The gun man pointed his rifle in the direction of the noise again.

"You can put the gun down David, it’s just us" said Jerome as he and the teens walked out of the shadows and into what was left of the now diminishing fire light. 

David put down the gun and smiled slightly then went back to his post.

"Oh good" said Lydia getting up and hugging each of the children. "I was getting worried, did you happen to get any supplies?" she asked.

"Yea, we got a few things" said Ash walking up and handing her the bag. "Some food for everyone, some baby milk and dipers for the smaller ones and some medicine and stuff"

"And I got a new knife" said Tinsley smirking at kyle.

Kyle looked murderously at her "I would like that back by the way."

Tinsley smiled sweetly and handed him the knife.

Lydia frowned "Tinsley how many times do i have to tell you, stealing things, is not very nice"

"pfft nice is overrated." said Lily walking over and wrapping her arm around Tinsley shoulder and smiling. "Plus she doesn't steal stuff without giving them back after right?" 

"Right" said Tinsley smiling and giving her most innocent face.

Kyle snorted and Tinsley glared at him.

Lydia looked at them and laughed and shook her head "You kids are to much." then turned and started walking over to David. 

Ash walked up to Jerome "I just wanted to say thank you again for saving us si-"

"It was nothing, get you and your friends beds set up and head to sleep" Jerome interrupted and went to go sit around a fire by himself.

Ash watched him go, frowning then turned and looked down the way they had come, thinking.

"Um hey, Ash"

He turned when he felt a finger tap him on the shoulder. "Oh hey Maddy what's up?" he says

Maddy blushed "h-hi, I-I was just wondering what you were doing?" she said brushing her Black hair out of her face.

"Nothing really, just thinking" he said looking back down the dark tunnel.

"Oh that's nice" she said looking down the tunnel curiously "what are you thinking about?"

"Just a question that's been bugging me this whole time." he said.

"What question?" she said sitting on the floor holding her knees up to her chin looking up at him. 

He was wearing a blue hoodie and black jeans with the hood currently over his head, covering his brown hair. "Just wondering what the point of all this is." he said and looked at her. "Like, why is this happening?"

She was wearing a black frilly skirt with black and purple tights and a white T-shirt that said "I heart New York" under her black Bikers vest.

She blushed again when he looked at her and looked away "I don't know, it was an accident by those scientist guys like the news said I guess."

"So my parents died because of some guys slip up, that’s nice" he said looking down the tunnel again frowning.

Maddy stood up and stood in front of him and looked at him "Hey, don't be sad they might not even be dead you know, they might still be looking for you."

"Yeah well how do you know?" He said still looking down the tunnel frowning.

"I don't, but I do know that you should not give up hope and hang on to the thought that they still are, cause; cause when they actually do die your going to miss them terribly" she said.

Ash looked at her and saw that tears were forming in her eyes.

"Hey, d-don't cry" he said not knowing what to do "I-Im sorry I wasn't thinking when I started talking about this."

"Its fine" she said smiling slightly then wiping her tears away quickly with her sleeve. "I'm still getting used to the fact I'm now an o-orphan I guess."

"Yea I'm sorry I really wasn't thinking, I jus-"

"Its fine, Ash, don't worry about it." she said putting a hand on his shoulder then hugging him really quickly for an awkward second. "Come on the others are waiting for us we better hurry before Kyle eats all the food, plus I gotta change my shoes" she smiled half heartedly then started walking to the camp fire there little group was sitting at currently.

Ash looked back down the Tunnel then shook his head and cursed quietly frowning, then turned and ran to catch up with her.