Chapter XI

Logan looked up when the door to the lodge flew open like it'd been hit by a whirlwind, shocked to find a panting Patton entering the building. "Sorry I'm back late Remy, but I had to serve Mrs. Johnson and she would not stop talking and I didn't want to be rude," he rambled out of breath as he walked in, oblivious to the advisor and his crew. "And I had to stay later cause I accidentally bumped into this really sweet, handsome guy on the way there, and I showed up late."

Remy smiled in amusement; clearly he had still yet to see them. "That sweet, handsome guy?" he questioned as he pointed to Logan. When Patton turned around, he gasped and blushed furiously.

"Oh my gosh, I forgot I told you to come here, um, hi again?" he said quickly, waving with a flustered look on his face.

"Salutations," Logan greeted, standing to approach him with a small smile. When he looked confused, he clarified. "Apologies, that's a fancy way of saying hello."

Patton made a face of realization. "Oh! Oh, okay! Um, did you have any trouble finding this place?" he asked, looking a little nervous. The advisor shook his head as Remy looked up from his clipboard of rooms and availability.

"We have a little bit of trouble now though, we've only five available rooms," he said. "They each sleep two people, but you have eleven people in total."

Logan frowned, but spoke quickly. "My crew can have the rooms, I'll go stay on the ship," he said with a nod to his men. They nodded gratefully, being exhausted by the voyage. Patton didn't like the idea that he'd sent him here but he wouldn't even get to stay, so he spoke up before he even thought his next words through.

"You can share my room," he said, freezing at the incredulous look he received. "I mean- I live here in one of the rooms, you could have my bed and I'll sleep on the floor."

The advisor looked surprised but slowly nodded. "I suppose that would be alright, although I don't-"

"Perfect! I'll show you to the room!" Patton said happily, dragging him by the hand down one of the hallways. There were chuckles from the crew behind him as well as Remy, though Logan didn't really see why. He supposed the man's actions were a little silly, but neither of them were gay. "So here it is, and there's the bed, which is all yours!"

"Patton, I must protest the idea of you sleeping on the floor," he commented, straightening his glasses. "It's unhealthy for your body, and it's not comfortable."

He looked awestruck that he'd mentioned it. Wait, what does this guy care if I sleep on the floor? We don't even know each other, Patton thought incredulously. That's really sweet of him to care though, anyone else I've let do this just takes the bed without hesitation.

"I'm used to it," he replied with a laugh and a shrug. "But if you're really that concerned about it, I'll sleep in the chair."

Logan was tempted to argue further, but he didn't know what he was arguing. He certainly didn't feel comfortable with suggesting they share the bed, seeing as they'd only met that morning. He nodded, lips forming a thin line with dissatisfaction. Disliking the silence that fell upon them, he cleared his throat and attempted to make conversation.

"So, where were you off to in such a hurry this morning? A job I presume?" the advisor questioned. Patton nodded happily. "What do you do?"

"I'm a baker!" he answered, smiling brightly. "I work at the bakery almost everyday because I feel bad about staying at Remy's lodge so I try to slip him some of my salary to make up for my guilt." Logan blinked in surprise as he cringed. "And that was too much information, wasn't it?" he asked, flushing with embarrassment. "Gosh sorry! I always ramble and say too much even when I've only just met the person, and it's really a problem-"