Chapter XIV

Roman swallowed as they entered the bustling ballroom. It was brightly illuminated by crystal chandeliers and filled with people in gowns and suits. Everyone was either dancing or talking over the music that seemed to swirl the air like magic. None of this calmed the prince down, but rather made him more hyper aware of the first time he'd let his guard down in this mystical environment. 

Virgil led him around to stand on the side of the dance floor, handing him a glass of shimmering liquid as a server passed by. "So here's the deal," he began, sipping from his own glass. "I know the emerald key is somewhere in this palace, and the most likely person to know it's location is Prince James. We need to somehow track the key down ourselves while everyone's distracted, or interrogate the prince into giving us its location."

"Okay," he replied quietly, feeling his blood run cold at the mention of his name. Clearing his throat, he tried to fake a smile the best he could. "Excuse me, I'll be right back."

The pirate gave him a nod as he moved toward the table full of food. He wanted to catch his breath, but doing so next to Virgil would've raised more suspicions. It was already evident to him that there was something wrong, and he didn't want to push his luck with how long he could lie before he'd demand to know what was wrong. Roman let out a sigh as he snacked on some of the food laid out; he was ashamed of the way his hands trembled, but he knew he had good reason. He was about to turn to return to Virgil's side when a hand grabbed his arm and swirled him around.

"Roman!" the unfortunately familiar man greeted. He let out a gasp as he met Prince James' green eyes, feeling tingles shoot up his spine. He recognized him instantaneously; his black hair was short and neatly kept aside from a small part that hung over his forehead to give him a sense of character, as he'd told him once. "How delightful it is to see you again! Accompany me for a dance?"

He stammered in response, feeling eyes land on him and the hosting prince. "H-Here? James that's-" he tried to say, feeling a sense of panic rise in his chest at the idea of being seen dancing with another man. This was a very crowded ballroom and people were definitely already looking at them. He didn't look to see if Virgil was watching, as he was certain the pirate hadn't taken his gaze from him the entire time he hadn't been by his side. Taking a deep breath, Roman focused back on the man in front of him. "James, you know that affection between men is shameful among our society."

"Roman, everyone around here knows of my preferences," he replied in a low voice, a grin on his face as he led him out to the dance floor. "This kingdom is free of judgement, and if you're concerned about your own reputation, I've often been seen dancing with straight men. No one's going to assume anything."

He still looked around nervously at all the dancing couples around them as James began to lead their own dance. "So what are you doing in my kingdom? You should've told me you were coming," he said cheerfully, a slight flirtatiousness in his tone.

"I'm... I was simply stopping here for the night," Roman explained, willing himself not to look at the captain across the room. "I'm on my way to my wedding and needed to stop for resupplying on our way."

"That's too bad, I would've loved to have more time to catch up," he said with a wink as he spun  him smoothly. "Your wedding, you say? Your father's making you marry some princess for advantage I see. It's a shame, if the world were different you could've married me; for advantage of course."

He swallowed nervously as his face flushed. "For advantage, of course," he repeated with a forced smile. 

"What do you say we go have a drink in private and catch up a little?" James suggested, murmuring into his ear.

A chill ran down his spine; he wanted to say no, but he recalled how Virgil had said he was the most likely one to know where the emerald key was. Keeping up his act, he nodded as though the idea was most pleasant. The princes exited the ballroom as the captain watched from afar. He was gripping his glass too tightly and his jaw was clenched as he took a sip from it, trying to remain calm. What the hell did he just watch? This James prick come up out of nowhere and starts flirting and dancing with his Princey, and now their going off on their own together? He wasn't pleased.