Chapter XXIV

"A journal?" Roman asked quietly as the pirate removed the worn black book from the small chest. He nodded a little, looking slightly numb as he ran his fingers along the leather. "What... what's so important about it? What was a little journal doing in such a heavily protected chest?"

Virgil sighed he opened it and started flipping through the pages. "When I was with the traffickers... I wrote about my experiences," he explained. His voice was soft, and the prince had the realization that he'd never talked about this with anyone before. "I wrote about their operation, what it was like... I wrote about you... You had a journal too, I believe, but shortly before you were taken, they found mine. It said too much; they took it and locked it away to prevent anyone from finding it and learning about their organization."

He looked distant, like he was walking in the memories of his mind. He wasn't there in that moment, he was in the past. "They've long since been dissolved, I'm probably part of the reason," the captain continued. "I did kill quite a few of them once I became a pirate, but my journal was still locked away. It... It was my only connection to you. The only physical connection left. It has memories of you my mind can no longer recall. I just wanted something to remember you by."

"But how did all the keys end up in so many places? It seemed like you were the one that put them there, like you knew where they were," Roman asked, confusion in his voice.

"I did, but I was too scared to go after them," he said. "The traffickers spread them out, and I overheard them talking about where they were, but I knew they'd be guarded. I didn't have the confidence to try and get them, but now I'm a pirate captain. It wouldn't have been a problem."

The prince nodded in understanding, but still had questions. "What about the amethyst key?"

"They kept that one at the camp we were at," he said, reaching up to brush it with his fingers. "I stole it and ran away. I stowed away on one of the trader ships that was at the island at the moment, and I just kept sneaking and stealing my way through life. Eventually I was old enough that sneaking wouldn't cut it, so I stood up for myself. I became a pirate. It was the only thing I could do."

He had one more question. "And Luis?" he asked. "If he's your brother, how come-"

"My brother was fortunate enough that he wasn't taken by the traffickers when they took me," he answered, not needing to hear him finish the question. "We were just orphans in an orphanage. They were just looking for free labor, they didn't care about the fact that he was my brother. They probably didn't even realize it. It doesn't matter, he became a pirate anyway."

They were quiet for a moment, a gloominess in the air from the pirate's confessions. Roman slipped his hand into his and gave a gentle pull on it as he took a step toward the exit of the cave. He snapped out of his daze and fell in step with him as they headed back toward the village.

It didn't take them as long to walk back to the village, taking a short cut along the beach to the docks. Both his ship and his brother's were anchored to the piers. It was clear that they were waiting for them in town, most likely at the very inn they'd stayed at a few days ago. They were; several of the crew were sitting outside the inn, awaiting their return. Upon seeing the two of them, they leapt to their feet and cheered as their captain approached them.

Roman watched with a smile as Luis and Virgil hugged each other. He guessed that even if the pirate's brother didn't know all the details of what happened, he knew how much getting the journal meant to him.

"Your Highness?"

He jumped at the familiar voice, turning to see his advisor and a man he didn't recognize. "Logan?" he said questioningly, smiling in relief. The typically stoic man rushed forward and hugged him tightly, making him gasp in shock. He'd never been hugged by Logan before. He suddenly realized how worried the advisor must've been. Smiling, the prince hugged him back. "I'm okay, Logan."

"You have no idea how worried I've been," he snapped as he pulled away from the hug. "Your father would have my head if something happened to you! And he's going to be there for the wedding. I've been so worried, your Highness. Thank goodness you're safe. You're going to be late to the wedding if we don't leave immediately."

Roman's heart dropped. He'd forgotten about the wedding, it had been the least of his worries. He looked toward Virgil, who was looking back at him. It was clear he'd heard that comment.

"Your Highness?" Logan said, getting his attention. He looked toward his advisor with sad eyes before returning his gaze to the pirate longingly. He seemed to realize there was something wrong, clearing his throat and nodding. "I'll let you say your goodbyes, I suppose."

"Thank you," he breathed, rushing over to him. Virgil looked closed off and his gaze was stony as he met it. "I... I guess this is goodbye."

He lifted his chin, playing the strong captain that wasn't bothered by saying goodbye to his captive prince. Roman knew better than that. This was killing him inside, and the pain was making him close himself off again. "Yes, you wouldn't want to be late to your wedding."

"Virgil-"

"Bye Princey," he said, cutting him off as he walked away toward the inn. Luis and both of their crews followed, leaving him standing and staring after him with misty eyes.

Logan came up behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder comfortingly. "I don't know what happened there, but you should be grateful he let you leave without a fight," he told him. "Now come on, I sent a message to our vessel on our way over here, they're waiting in the harbor."

Roman nodded numbly, fighting back his emotions as he straightened his posture and began walking toward the docks.