Chapter 9

Thomas left the room and found himself face to face with the two other guards.

"Didja find him?"

Thomas did his best to mimic the voice,

"I got him," he said, gruffly, "but he punched me in the face and ran off. I'm wearing the helmet now, in case these little shits get any ideas too."

The other two bought it and Thomas felt the knot in his stomache loosen. He walked with ease, luckily the two already loaded the trunk of the van with his friends, so he wouldn't have to deal with seeing their broken faces.

"Now, since you were the last one out," one of the other guards began, "you have guard duty in the back while we sit up front with the pretty one."

Thomas started panicking, for he didn't know which 'pretty one' they were referring to, but he gave out a fake snicker and climbed into the back of the truck. The two guards gave Thomas the key and he locked it from the inside, facing his friends. He looked around and made out Minho, Newt, Harriet, Sonya, and Brenda. Which meant that they were messing around with Teresa up front. Thomas clenched his fists and took of his helmet. Minho screamed in surprise, but Newt got up and limped towards him to hug him.

"OH MY GOD WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!" Brenda wailed as she embraced him.

Thomas felt a little uncomfortable, but he was glad that she was still okay. He grabbed the key and began to unlock the gate.

"You guys need to get out of here. Teresa's still up front, but I'll be able to get her out hopefully."

"I want to help!" Newt announced, "You need to look like you got into a bad fight with us, but managed to catch one. If you have at least one of us, they might believe that the rest just got away."

Thomas thought for a moment before Minho intercepted.

"Make that two of us. The girls should get out of here and find Chuck..."

Minho looked at Thomas's face and understood instantly.

"They can get us a getaway car." He said with finality, as he lowered his head as a slight gesture of grief towards Chuck's death.

The three girls hugged the boys and jumped out of the van when it stopped temporarily. They scurried away, and blended into the darkness. Thomas closed the door quickly and silently as the van began to speed forward again. He faced his two friends.

"Alright you klunk faces," he began, "we need to look like shit."

Newt glanced at Minho and began to swing his arm into his face. The impact came and Minho stumbled backwards, blood trailing down his nose. Minho wiped some of it off and smirked as he punched Newt in the mouth, who also stumbled back. Minho then turned to Thomas and kicked him in the stomache. He doubled over, gagging as he felt blood. He held up a hand to Minho as he removed the shirt he was wearing underneath the armor. It was still soaked in fresh blood. He gave that to his friends and the two of them wiped the material over their clothes. They felt the van come to a stop and Thomas put the mask back on. He then had Newt remain "unconsious" in the corner near the door as he waited for the guards to come open the doors from the outside, since he left them unlocked. The doors swung open and on cue Thomas punched Minho in the stomache. He gasped and fell, coughing up blood. The two guards were standing there, one holding a half dressed Teresa. She was shivering and Thomas had to restrain himself from lunching himself at them. They looked at his two bloody friends and sighed.

"The girls got away, huh." One said, "we'll look for them and the other boy later, let's kill them before they get any ideas."

He suddenly pulled out a revolver and pointed it at Minho. Before Thomas could react, Newt had sprung from the place he had gone 'unconsious' and blocked the bullet. Thomas heard Teresa scream as Newt crumpled on the ground in front of them. Thomas felt his ears ringing as he stared at the blood flowing out of his friend. Minho hadn't wasted a second; he jumped from his place and slammed into the man with the gun, screaming bloody murder with tears running down his cheeks.

Thomas got up and hobbled over to Newt, seeing that he was in fact dead. He held back more tears and looked towards his two other friends. Teresa was struggling against one guard while Minho wrestled with another. The gun that was used to shoot Newt was lying on the ground next to him.