Nice to meet you. -4

Yay for editing stuff! please leave feedback.... ya know.... if you like....

Chapter 4- Nice to meet you.

"Let's get you inside, shall we?" I reached forward, unlocking our shared front door and holding it open for him. He smiled and ducked under my arm so he could get in. Arie squeezed under my arm, awkwardly juggling the alcohol and bandages as she maneuvered past me and into the room. I raised my arm a bit higher so that Brielle could fit under it as well.

"Have you even seen the inside yet?" I asked Kyle, knowing that he was probably put to work as soon as he got here, just like the rest of us that were assigned to field work. He shook his head and laughed at the question.

"I saw the box I carried into the front hall for my mom. But that's about it." Now it was my turn to laugh. I scratched the back of my neck and rolled my eyes. Arie spoke up from what had been turned into a living room. She stood the bottle of alcohol on a table and let the bandages drop to the wooden surface as well.

"Well let's get you settled in. Your mom and I put you in the back room. This space is nice because there were three offices in the back and two bathrooms so we all get our own rooms and sharing the bathrooms isn't too awful. They even installed a shower!" She giggled and led us down the hall, opening the door of kyle's room with her free hand.

"Wow, you guys really out did yourselves." Kyle and I looked around at the mattress with new grey sheets and a blue and black striped comforter. There were also four new pillows at the head of the bed, also donning blue and black stripes. Arie sat in the spinning chair at the desk in the corner of the room.

"Wait, you said that we all get our own rooms, but there are only three offices. How does that work exactly." He frowned, his forehead creasing with frustration. Arie smiled.

"Oh, we put up a curtain on our side and I sleep on the dance floor. We made it about the same size as one of the offices so It's not really different. It's set up almost the same way your room is." Kyle looked around at the desk, the small nightstand, the door that led to a shallow closet, and his bed. As he did so, Arie continued speaking.

"The only I don't get a closet or a desk. I have a bookshelf and a ballet bar to hang things on." He nodded, his forehead now smooth.

“Want to see the rest of the house?” Arie asked him. He nodded and she reached out for his good hand, pulling him out of the room. Brielle and I followed them onto the dance floor that served as their house and took him to the area set up as a kitchen. There was a sink and a small fridge set in the corner. There was even a propane camp stove set up on a small wooden table. Arie continued to chat excitedly as she explained life on the base.

"We get all our rations from the food building, I think it used to be a supermarket or something, and then we can bring it back here to cook and eat it. It's different than most safe zones, usually you all eat in a mess hall, but I like this better. Makes it really seem like a home, doesn't it?' Kyle nodded walking over to the small window over the sink. On the sill was a picture of him and his family before his dad left.

"Makes me miss home. We used to have our kitchen set up this way there too. Dad used to complain when Mom put stuff on the sill. He always knocked it over by accident while washing dishes." Kyle laughed a little, remembering something from his childhood.

"Want to see your family room?" He nodded and I led us through the curtain used to separate all the rooms in the studio. I pushed aside the brown curtain serving for the door into the family room and led him inside. There was a tall lamp that lit up the small space, a small T.V. with a DVD player and a stack of movies, a brown coffee table and a black loveseat sofa.