What's the 9-1-1?

Serena's POV

"Hey, you" Juan Ignatio said as he entered the living room of my empty apartment then he shrugged off his suit jacket.

"I got your text; what's the 911? I can't be late for my flight" he continued then he plopped down next to me on the floor.

"You're awfully quiet" he commented when I didn't say anything.
"Your place may not look bad, but I hope you're not considering staying here.
I've told you a million times that you can stay at my hotel suite.
I'm hardly there, and I have all the room and nothing to do with..."

"I saw Cassius" I blurted out –momentarily silencing him.

"What?" Juan Ignatio asked for clarity.

"Today. Turns out he's the renovator I was supposed to meet" I said then I turned to gauge my brother's reaction.

"Damn!
Are you okay?" He immediately inquired.

"What do you think?" I returned. "Would you be okay seeing Lyon after eight years, looking like she never aged a day or spared you a thought?" I asked.

"Probably not" he admitted.
"Did you talk to him?"

"Can you believe I didn't recognize him at first?
I had to look closely to be able to do so; that's how much he's changed since he left me!" I scoffed.

"In his defense, he was only twenty-one when you last saw him. A lot can change about a person in eight years" JI commented.

"Do you know he had the nerve to try to stop me from leaving when I realized who he was?" I informed.

"What did you do?" JI wondered.

"I punched him in the face, and walked out of there anyway" I said proudly.

"Damn! I guess I should have asked, “Is he okay”?" JI laughed.

"I don't know.
I told him if he followed me I'd bodily assault him repeatedly with whatever object I could find, and I guess he took me seriously" I answered.

"I'm calling Rhys; I might be late after all" JI said.

"I can't believe you left work" I commented as I stood to my feet and headed to the kitchen where I'd placed the things I bought on my way here.

"Believe it baby; the things I do for you" Juan Ignatio replied.

"I'll just text him; he's not answering" JI said when I reentered the room with a bag of chips.

I sat cross legged next to him and I dug into the chips.

"Real talk though, are you okay?" JI sat up straighter, then asked.

"Why do you keep asking?" I chuckled as he joined me in eating the chips.

"Other than the fact that you just had an accidental run in with your ex boyfriend who you didn't exactly part ways with?" JI questioned.

I chuckled dryly.

"We parted ways alright. I just wasn't important enough to be properly broken up with" I said dryly.

"There's that.
You know something, if Cassius had told you he didn't want to be together anymore and asked for a breakup, you would've told him you were pregnant" Juan Ignatio pointed out.

"No I wouldn't have" I admitted.

"Whyever not?" JI questioned.

"Because! Cassius has always had a strong sense of responsibility. If he wanted to break up with me and then realized I was pregnant, what do you think he would've done?" I queried.