Prologue

"Figlio! Non dimenticare di comprare il pane prima di tornare a casa." My mother was and, in my heart, still is a wonderful woman.  (Son! Don't forget to buy bread before coming home)

"Certo che lo farò mamma. Nessun problema. Saluta l'uomo del latte per me." I yell back into the small house. We'd been lucky. As Italian immigrants, we were lucky to be making a living.  (Of course I will momma. Say hello to the milk man for me.)

And so whatever my momma asked me, I did it. She made it possible for me to be able to live the way I do. Going to school and having a small job. Most Italians were living so poorly they nearly decided to go back home. But politics are bad and it's not worth it to go back and be in the worse position just because you struggle a little bit. And so I lived with the brutality of America. I lived with the judgment. And I made my mother proud. 

But if I had to complain it would be about school. It's so difficult to learn another language. And so learning English was always a bit difficult. But that was it. 

So I didn't want to believe it when what happened tonight happened. 

"I yor't xahiawa yoq satan. Sa's laenza yor siz hoed reincarnate. I'm zukh siks rank s'es gae I sowa qae hiedar qae ya ynaa!" A strong female voice, in a language that was worse than English. Sounded almost demonic... (I can't believe that Satan. He's worse than his last reincarnate. I'm such high rank why do I have to listen to the three!)

"Yohz gaelr ziedabbi. Iq's esaeun aelr mouhq esaeu laai ynobes gaelr yabbia" A softer voice, but you could hardly tell with the words they spoke. (Calm down sister. It's your own fault you went crazy down there...)

"He-hello?" I spoke slowly as I looked around. No one was there. It was pretty late. And the bag in my hand was light with bread. At least until..

Swoosh

I felt the air leave my lungs and never return. And it never returned. But it felt like I swimming all of a sudden... 

My lungs and heart had been punctured and driven through. And the bag in my hand that was light. Became heavy and so did the rest of me. "Grrk! Kah!" I was coughing up the liquid gathering in my chest area and it sprayed the rushed side walk. 

"Esaeu killed siz! gaon satan esaeu killed o mortal! You killed to boy! Quick... uh bring him back!" The soft voice. I heard English. I was murdered? What? No.... (You killed him! Dear Satan you killed a mortal!)

"Muyt! He spoke and I just reacted." (Fuck!) The rough voice.  But by then my entire body had fallen and I didn't feel like moving. Just taking a long nap...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years later (like century and then some years)

"STOP! I said Stop it!" This isn't how I wanted tonight to go. 

"Oh come on babe~ You know you like it. Give in already." This isn't what I wanted. 

"NO! Let me go Jason. I swear. Let me go!" I knew I should've stopped this before it got bad. But he was my first boyfriend in so long. And I thought it would be nice. But it took a turn for the worst. 

I couldn't use my hands but I kicked hard at his open groin. I then worked at the rope tied on my wrists. There was no way I was staying here. No way I was going to keep seeing him. "I'm leaving Jason. We're through." Grabbing my clothes I left. And I hoped that was it. 

When I got home my brother was there waiting for me. Seeing my face he stood. 

"Spike? What-" I didn't allow him to finish. I crashed into his arms. I had walked home. And every part of me hurt. But by the end of the night...nothing hurt. Not a single part of me. 

At least I made it feel that way. This would be the last time I'd cry for a very long time.