t e n

A year and a half

A year and a half. Sela Hart was off the grid for a year and a half. No one could find her. Not Waller. Not Joker. Not Batman. It was as if the so-called witch had never existed. For the first six months, the entire government was on edge. And then they slowly forgot about her.

But not Harley, and not Rick. While he was still an army man through and through, he spoke with Harley and let her roam free. He had no objection to her being free. And the clown princess had noticed this almost immediately.

"Any reason you're letting me walk free, sweet cheeks?" Harley asked playfully.

"You were closer to Sela than anyone else. Makes you the only one who could find her." Rick answered shortly. Harley smiled brightly before shrugging.

"Sorry, she hasn't even tried to send me a sign that she's fine. You gonna move on?" Harley asked, tilting her head to the side. Rick didn't answer. He just turned and left Harley in the darkness of the alleyway.

They interacted that way for the entire year and a half. Harley would tell him she had no clue, and he would tell her the same. She'd ask if he found anyone normal, and he'd walk away as though it was obvious. It was unhealthy, even Harley knew that. But Rick couldn't help it. He had lost her once before, and he wasn't going to let her slip away again.

"Y'know, there's a really pretty brunette trying to get your number over there." A soft voice said. Rick froze in his spot in the line at the coffee shop. Slowly he turned to see Sela sitting along the bar with a mug in her hands. There was a small smile on her lips, almost apologetic.

"Sela." Rick mumbled, stepping out of line to sit next to her.

"I know she's been hitting on you since I left. What I don't know is why you haven't returned her advances." Sela said simply, tilting her head to the side with a frown. "You should've moved on, Rick. It's not healthy."

"I don't care." Rick denied.

"Well, I do." Sela said, sipping from her cup. "We aren't meant to stay together, Rick."

"That's not something you get to decide for me." Rick argued. "I tried moving on the first time you left me, and look how that turned out. I ended up with a woman who reminded me of you, and ended up being related to you." Sela glanced down, her dark eyes staring into the coffee in her mug.

"You don't find that a little fucked up?" Sela asked softly. "You started falling in love with my older sister." She scoffed and shook her head. "That sounds so weird when I say it out loud. As if my life couldn't get anymore complicated."

"I'm not gonna move on, Sela." Rick said with a certain finality. Sela glanced over at him before closing her eyes and running her hand down her face. She didn't speak for a while, her eyes wandering down to her mug of coffee. Rick waited patiently until he couldn't anymore. "Say something."

"I don't know what you expect from me, Rick. I'm not gonna fit into your world in the government and the army. I'm not going to suddenly be normal again and be able to come home to find you cooking dinner. I can't just go back to that illusion I used to be." Sela sighed, looking at him with a frown.