XX

Chapter XX. Yule Ball?

The students belonging to the house of Gryffindor, both the youngest and the oldest, were in the Transfigurations classroom with their househead while she was about to explain to them the event that was approaching for that winter.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it was established." Professor McGonagall said while Flich placed the equipment with the vinyl record. "On the eve of Christmas together with our guests, we gather in the great hall for a night of demure frivolity. As representatives of the school it is expected that each and every one of you strive to take a good step and I say it literally because the Yule Ball is just that, a ball" The whispers didn't wait, especially in the girls who seemed very excited. "Silence!" Everyone obeyed. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has had the respect of the magical world for almost ten centuries and I will not allow that in one night to stain that name for behaving like a bunch of brute hoodlums."

"As I would expect from Professor McGonagall." Arturia thought with a smile. She knew that whatever was done must be done perfectly to keep the Gryffindor house aloft, or at least that was what Minerva and Albus were thinking.

"Dancing, is letting the body breathe. Within each girl sleeps a delicate swan longing to emerge and flight." The teacher looked at them. "And inside each boy there is a lion ready to jump." He addressed the boys. "Mr. Weasley." She approached to him, extending her hand.

"Yes?" Inquired the redhead shrugging in his seat.

"Can I, please?"

The fact that they took you as an example was the worst thing that could happen to a student and Arturia felt sorry for Ron, because that meant that teasing would begin, especially from his brothers. The golden-haired girl looked at Ron and, if she had to say it, he had the grace of a drepressed elephant.

"Everyone choose a partner" Indicated McGonagall. The girls stood up quickly, except for Arturia. "Boys, stand up."

All the men hesitated, but Neville was the first to get up to find a partner. Arturia laughed at the cowardice of the other boys and addressed them. Probably her action would humiliate them and hurt their male pride.

"Would you like to dance with me, Mr. Fred Weasley?" Asked the girl with golden hair with a smile on her face and holding out her hand.

That action embarrassed the redhead and made his twin brother tease him, as did the rest of the Gryffindor males. A girl had invited him to dance? Inspired by this, the other girls also looked for a partner and invited them to dance, which definitely hurt their pride.

"There are times when it is necessary for us to take the initiative." Arturia commented keeping her smile while dancing with Fred.

"Well played, Pendragon." The twin Weasley said giving the point in her favor.

The next day, everyone was looking for a partner for the ball. Arturia thought about what she could do with Cedric. After all, she didn't know who else to go with and she doubted that anyone would come to invite her, probably because of the fear of her stern look or because there were simply better options than her. One of the classes they had together was Herbology, so she waited to talk to him after classes.

She thought about the Yule Ball. She has never been excited for an event as traditional as school dances before, but she was there. She even had the dress she would wear, because her godfather had bought it in advance only a couple of weeks ago. Dumbledore did have good taste for her surprise.

In the classes Cedric sat next to her as usual, but never gave any indication that he was going to invite her to the ball, which meant that she would be the one to take the first step. Once finished the classes of Herbology, Arturia went to Cedric to start walking.

"Cedric." Arturia called him looking at him out of the corner of her eye.

"Tell me."

"Do you already have a partner for the ball? Because I was thinking that we could go together."

The brown haired boy stopped his steps looking at her with surprise, to which Arturia turned to see him somewhat worried.

"I ... I'm sorry, Arturia. I invited Cho Chang to the ball. I didn't know you wanted to go with me. You had said that it was better to stay as friends for now, I came to think that you would refuse to go with me because you thought they could misinterpret it. I really regret it." He said looking at her sadly.

Arturia felt something break in her chest and unwittingly her eyes crystallized. She looked down.

"I understand. I guess I could go with someone else." She said trying to give him her best smile. "I ... Excuse me, I have to go. My godfather said he needed to tell me something." Lied before starting to walk quickly through the corridors.

When she reached her common room, a tear inevitably crossed her face, why did it hurt so much?

The king was quietly sitting on one of the benches in the garden. She looked calmly touching her chest gently with her right hand.

"Tell her."

She heard voices near her.

The blonde turned her head slightly looking at Draco, Goyle and Crabbe a few meters away from her. The girl smiled slightly and greeted the Slytherins with a wave of her hand.

She looked at the group expectantly, for they seemed to be discussing something quietly between them, until Draco Malfoy broke away from the group to walk towards her confidently, although his eyes reflect shyness.

"Pendragon." He said to be in front of her, with a slight pink color staining his cheeks. "I come to inform you that you have been lucky that I have chosen you to be my date for the Yule ball." He said with that pride that identified him so much.

"I would love to go with you, Draco." Arturia said gently while smiling lightly.

"For real?" He inquired hopeful and softly in a timid way only for her to listen.

"Yes. It is an honor that the Prince of Slytherin invites me to the ball." She answered calmly. "Then we will see each other at the ball."