Chapter 3: Brain Sick

The Intricacies of Bellamir Johnson

"Illness comes from disparity of good and bad."

-AUTHOR

CHAPTER 3

I wasn't playing the game. I was never informed about anything with regards to any form of life and death game show. My mom is in jail, and here I am, stuck in great wondering, who the hell sent this letter. Who's in the right mind to start a madness and play with my life?

"All of the samples show great results!" Exclaimed Dr. Ruskov.

As Dr. Oliver Ruskov and his assistant, Dr. Margie stands, experimented on on their lab monkeys, literal monkeys, the elevator dings and hard and loud footstep approached.

"My friend! Oliver! How was your new lab?" It was Senator Josh Baxter.

The lab is located on a secure location around the streets of Brooklyn. It is so amazing that the lab is fully equipped with all brain scanning machines like fMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging), a technique used for scanning brain activities. It works by detecting the changes in blood oxygenation and flow that occur in response to neural activity – when a brain area is more active it consumes more oxygen and to meet this increased demand blood flow increases to the active area. Also, there is Computed tomography (CT) that builds up a picture of the brain based on the differential absorption of X-rays, Positron Emission Tomography (PET) that uses trace amounts of short-lived radioactive material to map functional processes in the brain, Electroencephalography (EEG) that is a measurement of the electrical activity of the brain by recording from electrodes placed on the scalp, Magnetoencephalography (MEG), Near infrared spectroscopy (NIR), and a lot more. (SOURCE COPYRIGHT INTENDED)

"It is a great opportunity, Senator, for letting me use such high quality and prestige facility like this." Dr. Ruskov replied.

"Doctor, Senator, please excuse me." Margie said as she showed a file to the both of the men.

"Look, here is the scan before specimen #023 used the EMBER Machine. Specimen #023 is one of kind gentlemen. He survived in the jungle of Amazon without his troop. He was adopted by the Association for Animal Welfare Administration (AAWA) and was diagnosed with a major brain damage resulting to his lack of ability to climb trees or act as a normal monkey. Before, he just walked and now, after he underwent the EMBER process, he was able to adapt to his common activity and environment. The MRI scan here shows an active activity on both his left and right hemispheres of his brain." Explained Margie.

"Wonderful!" Sen. Baxter reacted.

"All I need now senator is a suitable human specimen to make this machine a huge success." Said Dr. Ruskov.

"That's what I'm waiting all along my friend. Leave everything to Dr.  Stans for now and come with me to my loft. I will show you something..." Said Sen. Baxter.

Never in my intention to become as afraid and furious as the same time. One Friday morning, I was woken up by the loud ringing of my mobile phone. It's Jennifer Shaun, the Sr. HR. 

"Hey Johnson. Is this you?" Jennifer asked.

"It's me. I'm sorry. How can I help you?" I asked back.

"Your boss, Mr. Robert Quinn, has been calling about your progress about the Kat. Co. Project. He's been calling you a lot of times these past few days. He already asked us to contact you and check your condition." She said.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I'll call him as soon as possible. I'll follow everything up to him. Thanks for calling Ms. Shaun." I replied.

"By the way, can I come over later and have some beer? It's me asking as your friend, Jen. Bell, I know you are going through a lot and I think you need someone to talk to." She said.

It's true. I'm about to go insane. Insane to the point that my mind will begin forgetting again, that I will become vulnerable like how Murdock manipulated my life. I need someone to talk to. I am sick. I am.

"Oh.. uhhmm... I don't know if it's a good time." I replied.

"No Bell. Please, you're being far from us. Chad and Shelly? They said you told them to stay away from you. Please Bell. I'll come over. Okay?" She insisted.

"Okay. Sure. Sorry. See you tonight."

I went up. Off my bed. I told myself to start fixing all of these before everything becomes a mess. I went down my apartment and got in my car. I drove all the way to Dr. Schmuck. We met at a cafe in Two Guns Espresso near the Manhattan Beach. He was there. Waiting.

"Good morning Professor Schmuck." I greeted him.

"How many times did I tell you to just call me Rein? Come on kid. Sit down." He said.

"Uhmm.. I'm sorry Rein. I haven't been in touched with you these past month. You know, with my mother, and the case." I said.

"No worries Bell. It's uncommon for these times to send a letter. Why the hassle? And you look awful! Have you been sleeping well?" He asked.

"Listen Rein. I can't compromise my connection with you. Or it must have been compromised already. I can't use any digital form of communication with all the people I care. Here. Look." I showed him the letter Det. Rosberg found on my apartment.

"My Holy.. Oh my God. Who sent it? Where did you get it?" He asked as he showed his agitation.

"I don't know. Detective Rosberg showed it to me. He found it at my apartment." I said.

"Dylan? He's alive?" He asked.

"Yes he is. But the reason I asked you to come meet me here is because, one, your office might be bugged. The person who wrote this letter might already made his move and is monitoring anyone and everything. I want to ask you professor, is there anyone, like anyone, who came asking you about my condition?" 

"Media, reporters and writers. Nothing special. All I gave to them are the same information they got from the news and the court hearing you had five years ago. Although.. let me think." He paused.

"There is one girl, who recently, came to have an interview. Not about you, but with my field of study. It's just that, you came up in some parts of the interview, and I don't know, just same stories. But I showed her some of my observations when we we're having some sessions. But not everything." 

"Who is she?" I asked

"She showed me an identification. She's from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. She said they wanted to be aware with such conditions like you and open up some program to help medically diagnose patients with short term memory illnesses. Uhh.. wait. Here's her number." He explained as he checked for his wallet the mystery girl's identification. I think she's not a mystery anymore. But she's a start.

"Dr. Sheila Mendez. HHS. Thanks Rein. I'll catch up with you next time. I got to go." I said.

"Hey kid wait. Don't push yourself too hard. Call me if you need some help. Bye." 

I hate it. I am not some public figure that anyone should always look into. Dr. Mendez. I need to call her as soon as possible. She might help me, or not. 

"Welcome Dr. Ruskov. Come sit." Senator Baxter said.

"So, what's this awesome news your preparing?" Ruskov asked.

"Come on. Don't be such in a hurry. Here." Baxter showed Ruskov a file labeled confidential. The Doctor opened the file and smiled eerily as he read the file.

"Prekrasnyy! (Splendid) Such an amazing subject. I am looking forward meeting this boy. Such a good brain to be feasted on." Ruskov replied.

"Soon my friend. My associates are already working on convincing Mr. Bellamir Johnson to test your machine."

**CHAPTER 3: Brain Sick**