F I V E

"Hi Max!" I greeted, stretching out my arms and walking over to hug him. Max hesitated, but stood up to hug me nonetheless. I saw him glance back at Matt Nicholls with a worried look on his face, but I quickly stopped him from staring at Matt for too long. I kept my arm draped around his neck and grinned at the uncomfortable man next to me. "How are you? It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Max stuttered on words before blinking hopelessly at me. His eyes drifted to Matt and I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Hey, Max, you don't have to keep looking at him for approval, okay?" I asked, looking Max in the eyes. I watched as he looked down at his feet and finally glanced back up at me.

"Erm, yeah, okay...?" he muttered. I laughed and I heard Oli's chuckle from behind me.

"Here, c'mon upstairs with me. You thirsty? Hungry?" I asked, pulling him towards the stairs. Max hesitated, his body stiffening from discomfort.

"It's okay." Oli murmured, causing the both of us to glance over at the thin man. "You're fine."

Max let out a nervous sigh and followed after me as I walked up the stairs reaching the second floor. Max was visibly shaking, his knees knocking into each other and his lip trembling. I gave him a worried look.

"Are you okay, Max?" I asked. "You look a little sick?"

"M'fine." Max's gravelly voice broke the awkward silence. "I'm just-just scared of-"

"There are no consequences..." I explained to Max. Max's shoulders slumped.

"I just don't want to disappoint him."

I bit my lip. "You won't. I promise. He wanted this for you too. He really wanted you to feel comfortable around him to be yourself, ya know?" I gave him a gentle smile and winked at him. "Like Oli said, you're fine. So, what kind of drinks do you like?"

Max shrugged, still clearly nervous. "Uh-I don't really know...or remember...it's been just water for a long time."

I furrowed my brow. "How about orange juice?"

"Do you have apple juice?" Max asked quietly, his eyes still averting mine. "I, uh, I really like apple juice."

I nodded, reaching out to the fridge handle. "I think so, Oli always keeps this fridge stocked with fruit juices." I peeked in the cool refrigerator and spied the juice and let a small squeak leave my lips. "I found it! You're in luck!" I pulled the carton out and reached for a glass that Oli and I kept above the sink and handed the glass to Max. "Can you hold this for a minute?"

He grasped the glass cup and sighed through his nose, closing his eyes slightly. I poured him a serving of apple juice and grabbed a glass for myself, before putting the carton back in the fridge.

"You okay?" I asked softly. Max's eyes flew open and he nodded furiously.

"Yeah," Max murmured, "just a lot to take in, you know?" He slowly brought the glass up to his lips and tipped it back a little to drink. His eyes instantly widened and he took the glass away from his mouth, staring at it with surprise.

"You good?" I laughed. Max nodded again, a grin splitting his face.

"Yeah! I forgot what this tasted like. Oh my God, it tastes amazing!" He quickly downed the rest of the drink and licked his lips. "Can I have some more?"

"Help yourself." I smirked, sipping my drink, watching Max's eyes light up.

"So, do you like being a part time slave?" Max asked me as he poured more juice in his cup.