Chapter 4 ~ What's Next

8...

        We spent hours wandering the long, dim streets aimlessly. Slowly, though, as the sun peeked across the horizon, the city limits grew bustling and busy. With this, we quickly retreated back into the forestry.

        Though we'd only spent a maximum of four hours on the streets, the night was extremely productive, and we'd managed to scout out multiple localities to return to. As of now, though, we were going to retain our refuge amongst the trees.

        The morning brought a light phase of dew over the copious amounts of vegetation, leaving the grass wet as I dragged my feet through it. The field that scoped up to my knees left my pants soaked in water, though cool and refreshing, became a quick annoyance. Gentle waves of light coursed tranquilizingly between the branches as we walked, hitting our backs as we turned from the large buildings. It was almost foggy bu the time we'd found our bearings.

        Yawning, I ducked back inside and laid myself carelessly onto the ground. Silently, he took his place alongside me.

        "Tired, darling?" he inquired softly, lifting his chin slightly. I nodded in response, leaning right back into him. Seems nocturnal life was the one we were currently resorting to now...

        "Get some rest then. We'll head back for resources once more by nightfall. In the meantime, you ought to sleep up." he murmured softly in conclusion, pulling his arm around my frame quietly, holstering my small body against his own. I melted easily into his touch, leaning more against his side.

        "Alright, doctor..." I whispered out, sludging my cheek up against his chest tiredly. My hand rested delicately over his upper thigh, now, tracing carelessly over his worn down clothes.

        I could feel him relax into my touch, slowly leaning his head to the side to rest against my own, closing his eyes as he held me closer.

        "Sweet dreams,"

-

        Yanking from a world of seas, I opened my eyes wide to my rank surroundings.

        "Goodmorning, starshine." the doctor murmured softly against my ear, his velvet soft voice sending a chill up my spine.

        "Or shall I say, night?" he laughed gently.

        I pulled up off of him, seeing the silent night outside the door of our makeshift shelter.

        "Time to go, then?" I pondered aloud, glancing back over to him. He nodded gingerly in response, rising once more to his feet though ducking below the level ceiling.

        Pushing to my feet, I took his hand in my own, venturing now back to the door and out into the fresh air. Cool and serene, it was.

        We hooked our arms together thoughtfully as we strode back through the fields, carefully wading through a lake of tall, stalky croplands.

        It was almost a different feeling entirely to feel my feet hit the pavement. Almost reminiscent of the building we'd been so tediously trapped within only months before. Clicking heels on steel tiles...

        A sigh escaped my lips.

        "Everything alright, my dear?" he questioned, glancing at me from my side, cocking an eyebrow at me slightly.

        "Yeah, it's all good," I nodded as I spoke, "let's go hit up those hot spots, then..."

        It didn't take long at all to reach our first destination, and I was beyond ready to eat something other than the berries that 040 had deemed 'safe for consumption'.