Chapter 5 ~ Departure

We had been remaining within our hut for the last few weeks; time passed slowly, but we were enduring it bit by bit at a time. On another note, the doctor was remarkably good at rationing, and we had managed to keep on our limited food supply source ever since we had first crossed into the city streets. 

        Now, though, it was looking like we were going to have to return to the looming buildings soon.

        Turning a can over in my palm, I studied the label.

        "Hey, doc, are we heading out again tonight?" I murmured in question, looking back up to him silently.

        He was just outside the hut, working to reinforce the walls after last night's storm. That, and he was working to create a duct to catch rainfall.

        "If you'd like to, darling!" he responded in a chipper tone. As he did, he leaned over to look in through the doorframe at me. His eyes met my own and he gave a small smile before leaning right back out of sight to continue his works.

        I smiled at him a bit in return, sniffling slightly as I dumbfoundedly looked back to the can in my hand.

        As thoughts raced through my head, I found myself wondering if this was the life I was truly destined to be living. Sure, it could be worse, but it could still be doubly as better.

        "Doctor..?" I muttered to him again.

        "Yes, dear?" he inquired in turn, shifting some items outside the hut.

        "Are we going to stay here like this forever?" I spoke once more, my voice remaining soft, though loud enough to be heard on the outside of our makeshift shelter.

        There was a long moment of silence before he slowly leaned to peer back in through the door.

        "It may be a while, but we'll find better residence eventually, promise..." he reassured me, sighing a bit as he tilted his head. He gave me a sort of big-eyed look, trying to give me a sense of comfort. Thankfully, it was working just fine.

        Quietly, I nodded along in conclusion, looking away slowly.

        He sighed softly again, turning again to return to his work.

        "Don't think about it too much, alright doll?" he spoke in that soothing, velvet soft tone of voice.

        "Thanks, doctor." I murmured back out to him, though my voice grew quiet, and it was a wonder if he'd even heard me. Eventually, I turned and laid onto my side, giving the cold ground my stolen embrace.

-

        The day passed slowly, as it had done every day, and I was carelessly left tracing my fingers against the dirt. At times, the doctor would come in to sit with me for a while before returning to his work; but now, as the sky was dawning, he sat alongside me for good, snuggling into my form lovingly in silence.

        He closed his eyes, gently leaning into the back of my neck as his loosely matted hair tickled and folded carefully against the back of my head. Eventually, I felt his lips press to my skin in a gentle kiss. Easily, I melted into his touch.

        It was as if the embodiment of affection and comfort had swooned me into his arms, and suddenly, the ground didn't seem as uncomfortable.

        We waited around another thirty minutes or so, enjoying each other's company as we tangled our bodies into one another. I'd turned to face him by this point, our legs crossed mindlessly over each other as we held around one another's form.

        I kissed over his chin softly before he smiled and looked down at me.

        "You about ready to go, sweetheart?" he remarked softly, kissing me back on the forehead. I nodded a bit in return, slowly slipping out of his grasp as I moved to get to my feet.

        Just as we had the first time, we strode confidently back under the watching city lights.

        This time, though, 049 guided us deeper into the city limits, tracing back phantom footsteps into the unknown territory. Eventually, we reached our location.

        Standing at the end of a street corner, we stopped to stare down the long road crossing horizontally from the one we'd traveled.

        "I'll take this side, you take that one, is that okay?" he inquired testingly, looking to me in reassurance. His belief in my independence helped to make me feel personally safer, but I still didn't trust myself out here alone.

        Shrugging, I looked to the side.

        He reached his hand over and laid it on my shoulder quietly. He held it stiffly, looking at me trustingly.

        "Hey..." he spoke gently, leaning closer now, "you've got this, doll- we're safe out here..." he concluded, pulling me over a bit closer to himself as he proceeded to kiss me on the forehead.

        Sighing, I gave in to his persuasion, nodding silently as I leaned into him.

        "We'll meet back here, it'll take no time at all," he promised me, looping his fingers up into my hair. With his hand delicately traced between my locks of hair, he held my head under his chin warmly. I simply closed my eyes and leaned into him.

        "Okay, doctor...I trust you." I whispered softly, kissing his collarbone daintily.

        "Good. Try to come back in about twenty minutes, alright? I'll come to get you if you aren't back by then..." he thought out loud, hugging his other arm around my waist comfortably.

        I nodded in agreement, "alright, doc." I responded simply, looking to the side now as I opened my eyes back up.

        "Okay..." he slipped from me, now, "Goodluck, darling, I love you-" he gave another soft smile over his shoulder as he turned.

        "Love you too, doctor..." I gestured my leave, slowly turning away from him, centering my building out.

        As we departed, I felt a growing sense of insecurity fall upon my form but brushed it away as nothing as I neared the towering building. The door was left unlocked, and the interior was left in a desolate, though homey state.

        Clearing my throat, I stepped passed the threshold.

        Here we go.