Chapter 18 ~ Going to Die Here

...1 

        Vantablack hands untangled from my form, unmuting my unconscious ears to the world around me. The gentle crackle of the fire returned, and the sweet, comforting embrace of the couch cushions beneath me brought me back to the waking realm.

        "Hm," I hummed tirelessly, sitting up slowly and glancing around the room- readjusting to the scenery. Suddenly, though, my groggy thoughts pushed through the veil of waking exhaustion and I snapped around to face the window. What time, what time?

        It was pitch black out the window- a blanket of darkness shrouding the world outside, all but the moon's delightful, blessing rays, however.

        I cleared my throat for a moment, continuing to stare out the glass pane in though before whipping my head back around and jumping up to my feet. Quickly, I scrambled to the bedroom door, knocking a couple of times in a swift, near excitable manner.

        It took a moment, but eventually, the doctor came to my aid, opening the door and looking at me in the same half-asleep kind of mannerism I have been in only moments prior.

        "It's the middle of the night, (y/n), what do you want?" he hummed slightly, sounding groggy though it was obvious that he was trying his hardest not to sound aggravated with me. He leaned over into the doorframe a bit, his head clocking to the side as he watched me.

        "W-we were gonna- go grab food?" I murmured now- just feeling so awake and energized now it was almost a struggle remaining calm with him. Just the thought of getting out of the house...

         "I already went out, darling- go back to sleep..." he hushed, glancing away now as he turned back into his room. I felt myself freeze up a little bit at the thought, just stuck between the heart-wrenching knowledge that I wouldn't be out of the house and the hopes that I would finally be eating something other than human flesh. Hopefully, at least- if luck was on my side.

        "Sorry doc, thank you-" I managed, figuring that it was the least I could do, even if he had demolished my chances of escape. At least he remembered, I supposed- but it was still hitting me slowly, to be honest. The realization that I would have to wait longer to get out of this dumb cabin was still welling up in the back of my mind- but it was fine. For now, at least, it seemed so.

        "It's fine. Love you, doll- get some rest." he cooed gently- then once more closed the door to the bedroom. Loneliness encouraged boredom- which influenced rest. I knew what game he was playing...

         Turning, now, I wandered into the kitchen- thoughtfully wondering what I'd find in the cupboard. I nearly skipped there- excited both in thought and in gait as I wandered across the room and grabbed the doorknobs to the large cabinet.

        I'd since gotten used to the horrible smell of the room- the stench of rotten flesh nothing but the natural roomy scent at this point. I pulled the doors open now- smiling in anticipation- but there wasn't a single thing inside. My smile drew wobbly, wearing down with the idea that maybe I had been right to assume he'd never be thoughtful enough to pick up actual groceries. I slowly turned to look at the fridge, praying to god that if I opened it there might be perishable items hidden away inside- blood stained or not, I'd much prefer a bag of carrots or something over human finger soup. Maybe he picked up refrigerated items...

        I cleared my throat, now, slowly closing the cabinet and pivoting to move in that direction. One slow, calculated step after the next.

       I drew over to the refrigerator now, my hand raising slowly to glide gently over the handle.

        My smile had faded now, swallowing hard once more before drawing it open.

        My hopes for something normal were belittled to begin with, so when I opened the door to meet the face of another poor soul who'd become the week's next meal, I wasn't particularly surprised. However, this was far from stopping my heart to sink to the floor all in one fail swoop- my gut-wrenching in the same way that it had at the drop of an elevator.

         It was more disappointment, to be quite frank- I could feel all of the life and excitement just draining out of me. But I'd be damned if he thought I was going to deal with all of this again.

        Slowly, I closed the refrigerator door once more, closing my thoughts off to the secondary corpse that I had seen in the last month. It was hell, honestly- I could already see myself running through the basics of cleaning the torso down to the bone and washing it all out in the sink.

        However, as easy as it would be to do so- there would be no stopping the repetitive cycle of trying to rid myself of the body and the doctor finding a replacement. Another innocent person dead- I'd either starve or go crazy.

        Thus, I reckoned there was only one way to truly handle this situation.

        Somebody is going to die here.

        And that somebody, is not going to be me.

(a/n): hello, my fantabulous readers! I would just like to apologize in advance for the shorter chapter- the story is coming to a close, but I'm hoping you all enjoyed it just the same! Thank you so much for reading thus far! Stay tuned,,