As Sweet As A Cigarette

My breath smelled  strongly of coffee and I had a feeling that wasn't a very attractive side to a woman. I didn't have any mints so I closed my mouth tightly and breathed through my nose, hoping that I didn't flare my nostrils and grunt like a beast.

Kyle walked half a metre away from me so for that I was glad. As we walked to the train station, every now and again, I would pretend to look around when in fact, I was sneaking glances at him. Thankfully, he seemed to be staring at the floor as we walked so I could pretty much stare at him without getting caught and labelled a creep.

He still made me curious. Mother said curiosity was bad and that everything I needed to know she would tell me but I couldn't help it. And a part of me wanted to know him. Wanted to know why he had to work so young when he should be at university. Why he's looking after me like this. Just genuine curiosity. However, the ringing voice of my mother echoed in my mind and I forced myself to look away. When she would come home, she'd be worried sick about me since I wouldn't be there. Then I would truly be stuck inside my apartment forever.

"Why are you staring out me?" Kyle said, snickering slightly as he tried to hold in his laughter. Immediately I looked away and scolded myself for staring at him while deep in thought. My cheeks and ears felt hot all of a sudden and I could feel a blush making its way around me face.

"Hey don't get all embarrassed, I know people can't help it sometimes: it's a primal instinct to stare at my absolutely fabulous face." He sang the word 'fabulous' out loudly and some people stared at us but he didn't seem to care.

I was confused though. Wasn't fabulous a word women used and I knew for a fact after studying evolution that his conception of a primal instinct was wrong.

"No, that isn't actually a primal instinct. A primal instinct is-" I began but he quickly and physically cut me off by clasping his hand around my mouth.

"I was joking. It was sarcasm." He said, as if finding my reaction somewhat humorous. I disagreed intently at this, I was logical. And what on earth was sarcasm? Kyle seemed to read my confused look and sighed, as if disappointed.

"I'll teach you sarcasm later. I can't believe you don't know it. I still can't believe you were cooped up in that penthouse for your whole life!" He exclaimed, kicking a stone. I didn't understand why he was so frustrated but I kept silent. I obviously couldn't read people very well.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. It was the only thing I could say in the moment. I looked at the pavement and kept my eyes trained on the moss in between the cracks. It really was beautiful how it could stay alive. People trod on it and you'd think it would have broke and died yet, it was still fighting for survival. I smiled at the thought. Maybe I could be like that.

I heard Kyle sigh and turned me towards him.

"Don't say sorry. This isn't your fault. Let's just... go home, I mean to my house. Okay?"

I nodded and we carried on walking till finally we arrived to the station. My legs hurt from walking so much but I kept that to myself. It was obvious I wasn't fit, just small and weak. No wonder why my mother kept me hidden all these years.

We walked down some stairs and quickly made our way to a barrier.

"Shit, I haven't got money! Have you?" He asked me, worried. I shook my head. I didn't carry around cash.

"And the train is about to leave..." H e trailed off, deep in thought. The barrier was strange, with three poles in awkward directions and you were meant to walk through them with some kind of card... judging on the people that were doing so. It was fairly crowded and I stayed close to Kyle so I wouldn't be swept along.