Chapter 11 ~ Bandage

• The Sorceress •

In the library, I pulled out every book I found relating to curses. I knew about curses, but I was always taught to recover what I thought I knew already. It was good advice. It saved my neck from several almost-disastrous spells.

     My emerald eyes scanned Curses and their Consequences. Yawning, I turned the page. I read the same keywords over and over again... Curse... Casting... Powerful...

     Then, I caught something that stood out. I adjusted the book to make sure I was reading it right.

     "'The caster of the most lethal curse will suffer a cost...'" I read out loud. "'To take lives from a building or location over a period of time requires a regular supply of blood from the caster.'"

      I looked up, taking this in. A sorcerer's blood is one of the most powerful substances in this world. It is the source of all their power. To give up some of their blood would render a Sorcerer temporarily weak to great extents. Who would go to such extremes to place a curse on the castle?

      "Doing some late night reading?" A voice asked in the dark. I yelped and slammed the book shut. Spinning around, I saw Frenhu coming out of the shadows. He had a wicked grin spreading across his face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

     "It's okay..." I caught my breath and gathered my thoughts. He came over and reached down to get the books I already read through.

     "Here, let me put these back for you." He lifted a stack. His cloak sleeve slipped back, uncovering a scarred hand. A bandage was wrapped over his thumb, some blood leaking through.