Chapter 22 ~ Fairies

• The Sorceress •

     We rode out of the Deadlands into a forest. I stopped when a few twinkling lights dart through the trees.

    "Stop." I told Marie. She turned around on her horse, eyes wide with fear.

    "What?" She whispered. "Are there ogres here... or... trolls?!"

    "First off... ogres live in swamps and trolls roam the mountains." I rolled my eyes and dismounted. "There are fairies here."

    "Fairies?" She looked all around. "Are they dangerous?"

    "Not everything is a dangerous being." I replied and took out a jar from my sack. "I just need to collect one."

    "What for?" She blinked.

    "To bring a fairy with you brings good luck." I crept up to a tree and peeked around it. Ducking down to a bush, I parted the leaves with my hands. A single fairy, faintly glowing blue, shrieked and flew away from her hiding place. I chased it and finally clamped the lid down on the jar, fairy inside. "They also may provide useful at some point."

    Marie watched in awe and I secured the jar in my sack and remounted. "Will she be alright?"

    "Of course." I clicked my tongue and trotted forward. "Fairies can last weeks without food or water."

———————

    We continued through the forest, absent of conversation. I enjoyed the silence, but apparently Marie doesn't because she kept trying to start up a chat.

    "So how long have you-"

    "-no." I ended.

    "But what if-"

    "-no."

    An eerie fog had rolled into the maze of pine trees. We had to be close.

    I rode ahead a little. A cave, massive compared to us, stood with moss and vines draped over the entrance.

   Once the princess caught up to me, I turned around and grimly told her, "Marie, we're here."