Chapter 13 ~ Rose Thorn

• The Sorceress •

"Your thumb is bleeding." I said matter-of-factly.

     "Ah yes." He glanced at the bandage. "I was collecting rose thorn. My supply has been dwindling."

     "I see." I bit my lip. Was he telling the truth?

     "Have you had any luck reading?" He changed the subject.

     I glanced back at my stack of books I still needed to read through. "Not really. Mostly reviewing old knowledge."

     "That's wise." He nodded and turned to the shelf. Lifting a book, he grinned to himself like he thought of something funny.

     "Something humorous?" I boldly faced him from the desk.

     "I just recall earlier this morning." He smiled. "When you arrived here."

     "What do you mean?" I blushed. Did I do something embarrassing? My thoughts scattered.

"Oh, just the over glorification that you are the kingdom's savior."

"Aren't you glad the spell may finally be broken?" I raised an eyebrow at the dismissive insult.

"Of course." He tightly smiled, then spun away, cloak flying in the air. "I must leave now and collect more of my ingredients."

      "Oh..." I watched him leave in a hurry. Looking back at my books, I felt my eyelids get heavy. I grumbled and pushed the stack away from me. "That's enough reading for now."

      I decided I needed to meditate. I left for the halls and bumped into a servant carrying blankets...