Heartbeat Chapter 8. Emiri

8. Emiri

5 Months Ago: February

Someone knocked on the door. "Master Emiri." I didn't answer.

"I apologize for the intrusion, I'm coming in."

The wooden door swung open and there stood Isabelle with her lovely curly red hair, bouncing softly up and down as she walked gracefully to me. I ignored her and continued playing the piano, the soft rhythm calming my mind.

"Master, please get dressed. The Elders called for a meeting."

"What's wrong with my clothes now?"

"You're in your negligee. Your brothers are attending the meeting as well. They can't see you like that." I met Isabelle's piercing glare, her red-black eyes glinting in irritation. "I'll dress you if I have to," she said sharply.

"You know very well that I have no intention of becoming the next Dama, so why do I have to attend the boring meeting? They can all go to hell for all I care. Just pledge your alliance to one of my brothers so you can be free from me." I continued playing the piano, pretending that Isabelle is not in the room with me and fuming mad by the second.

"Such language is not fitting for royalty Master!" she cried out, her nostril flaring in anguish.

"I'm not my sister Isabelle! I'm not fit to succeed her. I don't want to!" My fingers trembled, prompting me to stop the music abruptly.

"Don't you think I know that?! God Emiri, you're such a child. If you can handle yourself, I'll leave you alone. But do you think you're off the hook just because you said you didn't want to become our next ruler? Of course not! As long as you're alive, one of your brothers may see you as a threat and kill you," she hissed.

I matched her tone, "You also know that with my sister gone, I'm the most powerful vampire alive now. No one will dare harm me if they wish to live another day."

"Your brothers are cunning Emiri. They will find a way to hurt you one way or another. One of them even managed to murder your own sister!" she said with a trembling voice.

"We don't know that yet."

"You know one of them did it to get the throne."

My chest ached in agony knowing full well that she was right, but I pretended otherwise. "I don't know where this conversation is going. You may leave now." I turned my head toward the piano, clearly dismissing her.

She took a step forward, not done proving her point. "Mark my words. Soon you'll find someone you'll care deeply about that you'd be willing to die for her. When that time comes, your brothers will use that person to hurt you."

"That will never happen," I shrugged.

Sensing that there was no use arguing with me, Isabelle took a deep breath and regained her composure. "Do as you wish with your life, but before that, everyone expects you to attend this meeting. I'll return after a few minutes so get dressed, or I will yank that thin fabric off you and dress you myself," she threatened before leaving my room, her footsteps fading in the hall.

I continued playing, my thoughts straying automatically to my sister's lovely face. You're a fool for dying Catarina. You left me alone to carry the burden of our family name. But still, I promise to find your killer, even if it means the death of me or one of our brothers. What kind of F'cked up tradition is this anyway? If you don't want your sister to be the ruler, you kill her?! Whoever invented this should go burn in hell, I thought in anguish.