xii. the ball

December 24th, 1994

Fred stood at the bottom of the staircase, awaiting his best friend

Fred stood at the bottom of the staircase, awaiting his best friend. He knew she would look beautiful. And it was his job as the best friend to make the guy she liked jealous.

Hope peered around the top of the staircase. She noticed Fred, Harry, Ron, Cedric, and worst of all, Draco. With Pansy. The very sight of her made Hope's blood boil.

She took in a shaky breath before starting the long descent to her best friend. When she was halfway down, it was as if all eyes were on her. Some with envy, awe, or love.

Cedric stared at Hope, his mouth slightly agape at the sight of her. He'd never seen someone so brilliantly beautiful, so elegant. He felt guilty for thinking it, but Cho couldn't hold a candle to Hope.

Hope's eyes drifted across the crowd before catching ice blue ones. She actually was taken aback by how handsome he looked. Draco, on the other hand knew Hope would look beautiful, but nothing could have prepared him for the sight of her. He barely noticed Pansy clinging to his left arm and rambling incessantly. He wished nothing more than for Hope to be at his side instead.

Fred smirked at his best friend as he extended his hand to grab her gloved one. Hope bit her bottom lip gently and accepted.

"You've outdone yourself, Nix. Diggory hasn't even paid any mind to Cho." Fred whispered as he escorted Hope into the ballroom.

"Diggory?" She questioned, forgetting her reasoning for going with Fred. "Oh, oh right. Yeah. Good."

"Birdie." A male voice said clearly. Hope turned to her left to see Harry and Ron together. Harry looked handsome in his dress robes, Ron looked... interesting.

"Harry!" Hope exclaimed as she released Fred's hand to hug her cousin.

"You look incredible." Harry said as they pulled out of the hug. "He's definitely jealous."

"Yeah, Hope, you look, uh, bloody hell- I mean you're so-"

"Yes, Ron, we all get it. You're in love with Hope and she looks amazing, moving on now." Fred interrupted, causing Hope to giggle and for Ron's cheeks to turn crimson from embarrassment.

"I'll see you lot later, yeah?" Hope asked as the boys nodded. Fred continued to lead her into the ballroom where they met up with George and Angelina.

As a slow song came on, Fred extended his hand towards Hope, which she happily took. She loved Fred with all her heart and knew that they would be best friends for all time.

As he led her to the dance floor, Hope noticed Cedric and Cho. Cho was happily dancing with Cedric whilst Cedric looked somewhat distant. Hope chewed at her bottom lip. She wasn't feeling victorious since she'd succeeded in her quest to make Cedric jealous, she actually felt nothing. She wasn't even bothered by the way Cho clung to him nor the way she kissed his cheek. She felt absolutely nothing.