viii. goblet of fire

August 23rd, 1994
Hogwarts Express

Hope sat in a compartment with Fred and George

Hope sat in a compartment with Fred and George. It had come out who her father was and surprisingly not that many people cared. Only a certain few attacked her verbally. Although, she wasn't quite acting like her usual witty self. She was quiet and withdrawn.

"Hey, Nix, you alright?" Fred asked softly, his demeanor serious for once. Hope sighed, Draco on her mind.

"I just- I need some fresh air. I'll be back." She murmured before exciting the compartment as the twins stared at one another confused.

Hope sighed as she walked through the corridor. As she walked, she noticed Draco standing outside a compartment buying something from the trolley and before he could enter once more, she grabbed his arm and pulled him to her.

"What the hell?" Draco snarled. Hope rolled her eyes, ignoring his tone.

"Look, I knew we don't exactly like each other and you're a git to my cousin but, you warned me... about the attack. And I suppose that doesn't make you too evil." Hope whispered with a shrug. Draco scoffed.

"Is this your attempt at a 'thank you'?" Draco asked, a smirk on his lips as always. Hope wanted nothing more than to wipe it off of his smug face.

"Whatever." She muttered rolling her eyes.

"It's not that hard to say, Black. Just two little words."

Hope glared at him. "Thank you." She muttered through gritted teeth.

"You're bloody welcome. Are we done now?" He asked in a snarky manner.

"No. One last thing." Hope said, stopping him. Draco merely raised an eyebrow at her.

"W-why did you warn me?" Hope asked softly, her eyebrows furrowed. Draco pondered a moment, choosing his words carefully.

"If you died I wouldn't have anyone to piss of on a daily basis." He muttered apathetically with a shrug before turning on his heel and entering his compartment.

Hope groaned in annoyance before heading back to her compartment. Draco was everything she hated. Pompous, self centered, selfish, apathetic, cruel, vile.

But, for some stupid reason, deep down, she cared for him. Her heart pounded in her chest as she recounted their conversation.

~

Everyone sat in the Great Hall as Dumbledore informed they'd be participating in the Triwizard Tournament.

"Please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress Madam Maxine."

On cue, slim, pretty girls dressed in baby blue silk dresses elegantly entered the hall. All the boys stared at them in awe. She even noticed Draco and Cedric checking the girls out. She rolled her eyes in annoyance and lifted George's jaw back since it had been agape. Once the girls finished, all of the boys clapped loudly and whooped. The girls sat, clapping softly with stoic expressions.