xvi. loss

June 24th, 1995
Quidditch Field

Hope took in a shaky breath as her eyes scanned the stands

Hope took in a shaky breath as her eyes scanned the stands. They were filled to the brim with people excited to watch four young students compete in a deadly tournament. And Hope couldn't bear it.

"It's alright, Nix." Fred murmured into her ear while giving her a reassuring smile. She nodded and tried to focus on her breathing but her hands continued to fidget.

She looked to her left to see Harry standing and talking to Professor Moody. The uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach gripped her. She had to speak with him.

"I'll be right back." She muttered to the twins before making way towards her cousin.

"Harry." She stated suddenly, pulling her cousin away from the professor. "If you get hurt, I'll kill you."

A smile tugged on Harry's lips even though he was terrified of the coming challenge.

"A little redundant, don't you think?" Harry joked, causing Hope to shove him.

"I'm serious! If anything happens to you, you'll be in big fucking trouble." Hope warned sternly. Harry scoffed but nodded. Hope sighed deeply, calming herself.

"Good luck, Harry."

~

Hope stood alongside her friends in the sea of excited and anxious students. She could feel the adrenaline running through her veins, causing her entire body to vibrate.

Her hazel eyes traveled up the stands to find a platinum haired boy staring at her intently. As his eyes caught hers, a small smile tugged on the corner of his lips. She immediately pulled away from his gaze. She couldn't think about him right now. Not when she had this horrible, unbearable feeling in the pit of her stomach.

All of the champions were lined up before the ominous maze. Most refused to show it but Hope could imagine how terrified they were. She was, too.

Cedric turned, feeling eyes on him. He knew everyone's eyes were on him but only this one person he was able to hone in on. He caught Hope's gaze. She bit her bottom lip nervously. She couldn't hide the fear she felt.

Cedric, being his cheeky self, sent her a wink before grinning and showing off his pearly whites. Hope shook her head but mirrored his expression.

Unbeknownst to her, it'd be the last time she'd ever see that charming smile she adored.

Suddenly the cannon fired, signaling for Harry and Cedric to enter the maze first. Hope's hand reached for Hermione's as the bush closed where her cousin and friend had entered, leaving her feeling utterly terrified.

After what felt like hours with nothing to go on but occasional screams and red flares, two male bodies appeared in the center on the ground.

Cheering erupted among the stands. Hope instantly stood. Her eyes zeroing in on the pair and analyzing their well being.

And then, a shrill scream cut through the joyful cheering like a blade.

Hope stared horrified. Cedric lay unmoving. Frozen.

Dead.

Harry lay atop of him unmoving as his entire body shook with sobs. He naturally blamed himself.

Tears poured down Hope's olive colored cheeks. She couldn't move. She couldn't breathe. Everything moved in slow motion.

"No." She whispered hoarsely.

She felt a hand gently touch her shoulder causing her to instantly flinch away.

"No!" She exclaimed louder, pushing through the crowd to get to him.

She needed to get to him.

Hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her away from the scene. She screamed, clawing at them.

"Nix, stop." George whispered before turning her to face him.

A shaky breath escaped her lips before it happened. She erupted in loud, broken sobs. She didn't care. She didn't care if she was loud. She didn't care that students whispered. He was dead. One of her closest friends.

George instantly pulled him to her tightly. Hearing her so broken, so distressed nearly killed him. She was his best friend. He couldn't even imagine how she felt. It would be like him losing her or Fred. And that was too terrifying to even picture.

Two Days Later

Hope sat outside by the water. It was late but she didn't sleep anymore. She couldn't. Not without seeing his face.

She saw him everywhere. In the halls, in the library, in her reflection. She blamed herself.

She knew something wasn't right about the tournament. She knew her instincts told her to be cautious. She failed him. She lost him. It was her fault.

She stared at the moon above her. The light flooding the lake. As she looked into the water, a furry, black dog stared back next to her.

When she looked to her right, Sirius had already changed to his natural form. His face was solemn. Her bottom lip quivered. Sirius pulled his daughter into his arms as the tears flooded down her cheeks. She made no sounds. Only sniffling every now and then.

He knew the feeling of losing a friend. And it pained him even more to see his daughter experience the same kind of loss he and her mother did.

"I'm so sorry, Birdie." Sirius whispered softly.

Hope stayed silent. What was she to say?

The pair stayed like that for what felt like hours until Hope went limp in Sirius' arms. A soft snore escaping her lips.

Sirius removed his overcoat and jacket, laying one beneath her before lying her down gently, and placing the other on top of her.

He kissed her forehead softly, hoping that somehow she'd have no nightmares. None like the ones he'd had after James.

But, she had them anyway.

A/N-
I swear i'm not evil i just have to keep things interesting! forgive me pls
also titled it "loss" to parallel between black's kitten when gen lost james and lily. sorry sorry sorry
vote & comment!!!
xxx