2: I Gotta Feeling

C h a p t e r 2: I Gotta Feeling

I'm at a payphone, trying to call home, all of my change I've spent on you.

“What? Who?!” I exclaimed, jumping out of the bed.

It took me a while to realize that it was just Hayaa's cell phone's ringtone, which made me curse under my breath.

“Rise and shine, Hayaa.” I said sarcastically. I bet she didn't even hear me.

“Mtghdhawulgelt.” She groaned.

I picked up her BlackBerry and gasped.

16 missed calls from Dad, Mr. Diab... and 5 from Mr. Dokany, my dad.

I woke up after 21 rings!

“Shit!” I spat, sprinting around the room looking for my phone.

“HAYAA! WE'RE DOOMED!” I shouted.

“Aaaaaahhh! What! What's happening, why are you yelling?!” She cried, sitting up.

“They freakin' called us like a zillion times or something!” I said all too fast that it was barely coherent.

“CALM DOWN! You're getting on my nerves!”

I finally found my iPhone in the back pocket of my jeans.

“Check your phone Miss. Keep Calm!” I unlocked the screen and half-squeaked.

24 missed calls, Dad.

Hayaa snatched her phone off the bed-side table then looked like she was about to have a heart attack.

“Dad's like going to officially assassinate me!” I cried.

“Erain...” She looked at me gob-smacked. She only says my full name when she knows we're screwed, BIG TIME.

“Dad told me like five times that I have to answer every call, even if it was at the spit of dawn! And here I am, with 24 missed calls, plus 5 on your phone… 29 MISSED CALLS!”

I gawked at my phone's screen like it was a dead rat.

Hayaa suddenly gasped and her phone slipped out of her hand but thankfully made a safe landing on her bed.

“Oh, God! My dad's calling again. What should I do?!” My mouth lost all its moisture as I stared at her like she was a zombie.

Finally, life got me speechless...

“I SAID HE'S CALLING!” Hayaa screamed, waving her hands in the air like a mad woman.

“ANSWER HIM!” I screamed back then I took a deep breath and said calmly, “Just Keep Calm and answer him. Tell him we were asleep, which is actually the truth,” then I added, gulping, “Imma call my dad.”

“H-Hello?” Hayaa stuttered, answering the call. Her phone wasn't on loudspeaker, but I could still hear Mr. Diab's furious voice.

If her dad's that mad, how'd my dad be?

“No, we're fine. I mean, ehna kowayseen.”She mumbled, walking towards the balcony. She opened the glass door slowly and leaned out, probably to check that the next door balcony was clear, then exited the room.

I sighed and went back to staring at my phone.

Better get this over with, Rai. I thought to myself.

I gulped again and tapped Call

____________________________________________________