Chapter 5

The nerves were beginning to run through Ash. Cam had found her a few days later and told her that she was in on the next run. She was definitely ready for that news. It was high time Trent had learned to trust her with more than just the short runs. Besides, those needed to be on hold for a little while since the word on the streets were that Miko was trying to find their source and put him permanently out of business. It was just one more mistake she made when trying to seal an unfavorable fate on Dom.

Miko's wrath was going to be bad for Trent and would put all of them out on longer distanced runs. That would be more expensive and more dangerous than things were now. Even the run that they were about to go on had the potential for something to go haywire and someone to get hurt. It would normally be at least a three-man operation, but as far as she knew there were just two of them going this time.

She wondered if Trent put her on the run because he was angry enough with her to want her out of the way for a few days. She wouldn't put it passed him. The run had come up faster than she had anticipated. Lately, time had been going by slow, but the last few weeks she would have loved them to have stayed slow. Time had crept by fast and Trent had made little snips at her about how she still owed him for the pain of changing up where they got their product. It was easily making her uncomfortable.

"You ready?" Cam had snuck up on her like he usually did.

Ashley yawned, but nodded regardless. She followed him, guessing it was about four in the morning. The sun hadn't had time to rise up out of the ground with all of its hot pink and orange colors that welcomed it. "Does Trent know we're leaving now?"

"He knows." He answered vaguely.

"But did you tell him this morning?" A little worry inched up her spine.

"Nope." His steps increased to a faster pace. "Hurry up, we don't want to miss the train."

"Won't that get us in trouble?" Ashley's brows knitted together in confusion.

"I forgot how many questions you like to ask, Ash." He looked back at her and smiled.

"I like to be sure of things." She answered briefly, as the thought of what he had said a few seconds ago inched into her mind. Train? "Hey Cam, what did you mean by, we could miss the train?"

He looked back at her with a wide grin. "You didn't think we took a car to be tracked, did you?"

"I didn't know how you got shipments back and forth. I guess I just assumed you took a car or truck or moving van or something." She rolled her eyes at the smugness in his voice. She was new to this whole thing. How did he expect her to know everything about it? This was an area that she hadn't been trusted enough to know about.

A loud, shrill whistle could be heard nearby. The ground shook with the feel of an oncoming train, and the air smelled like the heat coming off of the tracks as the train neared them.

"Get ready to run." Cam excitedly laughed. He began picking up his pace.

"Why do I have to get ready to run?" Ashley followed suit in picking up her pace. The worry of what he was soon about to ask her began dawning upon her. "Cam, are we jumping on the train?"

He looked back with a smile. "You ready?"

"You're crazy!" She yelled back at him over the noise of the oncoming train. She hadn't seen the tracks before, but now they were beginning to become visible. A smile teased the edge of her lips as adrenaline pumped through her body. She was thankful for not having much to pack and keeping her bag light. An extra pair of clothes for emergencies was all that she needed.