Chapter 11

After hanging up the phone, Tom couldn't help but begin to ponder about Ashley. It bothered him why he had seen her at the station. He knew that it was already late, but the curiosity drove him. Without a second thought, he jumped in his car and sped his way to the station. He had a hunch on who she had been seeing. If his hunch was right, he had some questions for the individual.

Tom was thankful for the short trip to the building that he worked at. He hadn't planned on living close to work and it did have its downsides, but it worked well in this case. Most people wouldn't dare live a few blocks away from a jail, let alone be a cop and live that close. It was dangerous and definitely not recommended. Tom had lived at the house for years and it just made sense to stay there after getting reassigned to that station.

Tom parked quickly and ran up the steps. It was dark and late out, but the station was always open for new suspects being brought in.

"Hey Frank." He walked up to the front desk and greeted the short, stalky officer that was on check-in duty.

"Hey Tom. I didn't know you were still on duty." He greeted him back.

"I'm not. I was just following up on a lead for something. Do you have a sign-in list from earlier this afternoon? There was a girl in here visiting someone and I want to know who it was. I just can't shake a feeling." Tom explained. He went a long way back with Frank and knew that he'd understand his curiosity.

"Sure thing. Why's it making you come in so late? Why not just wait until your shift tomorrow?" Frank was curious as he pulled out the check-in/check-out list from earlier.

"I just have a feeling about someone who I've been keeping up on for awhile. I just want to make sure that she's not getting into any unnecessary trouble." Tom kept his response simple.

"Ah, gotcha!" Frank said as he slid the paper in front of Tom. "Here's what I got for earlier. Any names ring a bell?"

Tom didn't recognize any names as he ran his finger down the list. He did however recognize a time. "This woman, who'd she go and talk with?"

Frank pulled up the name on his computer. "It looks like she saw a Dominick di'Liardo. Name ring a bell?"

"That's what I was afraid of." Tom rubbed his forehead. "If he's awake can I get him in an interrogation room? I have a few questions for him that are important."

"It's probably not the wisest idea, Tom, but I can arrange it for you." Frank said as he picked up a phone and called a guard.

"I know, but I think it's going to be relevant for the safety of this person. Get me in to talk with him, Frank." Tom said quickly. He remembered the name and he remembered Ashley had been partly responsible for getting him into the jail. She had been smart in doing so, but he couldn't figure out why she'd want to talk to him. If anyone from her gang had found out she had talked with him she'd be marked as a traitor, if not killed. They'd never trust her, or they'd expect her to prove her loyalty in some awful manner.

"Give me a minute." Frank told him as he punched a few numbers into the phone receiver.

Tom took a seat a few feet away and waited. He needed to think about how to address this situation in the few minutes that had. He knew that there was a good chance that di'Liardo would deny that she visited him. He also knew that there was no chance that he could break his stubbornness in saying anything unless he was willing to talk about it. It was a risk that he needed to take though, and an empty interrogation room was the best way of going about getting answers in secret.