Chapter 26

Ashley tried to keep her thoughts warm with the thought of the dinner that Liv and her had made the night before. Tom had enjoyed it. She hadn't seen him that proud of her in a long time. Not that she really ever gave him a reason to be proud of her.

Unfortunately, those good times were over for now. Trent had sent Stan later that evening to tell her to enjoy her last night of freedom before she had to come back. The bitter, harsh reality was setting in as she neared Trent's uninviting smile. Eddie was a few feet away from him.

For a brief moment, she thought about grabbing her gun and putting them down in a bloody mess like they deserved. She held back though. Mainly out of hope for a better future. She was too good for stooping down so low as doing something that they would easily love to do to her. She held her head up high and shoulders back. Pride needed to get her through this greeting party.

"Good to see you back, Ash." Trent said warmly, but it was betrayed by the coolness in his unforgiving eyes.

"Can't really say it's good to be back." Ash said without thinking. It was the honest truth.

"Back with a tongue after a beating." Eddie watched her with careful, cunning precision. He looked her over in a way that would make any female cringe.

"Guess my senses were sharpened." She glared at him. There was no holding it back. She had to be careful, but she didn't need them to suppress every ounce of life trying to brim out of her. She walked up to Trent out of duty and stood in front of him – waiting for his next command.

"Are you ready to get back to work?" He eyed her up warily.

"Do I have a choice?" She asked without any hesitance. She kept her eyes on his, refusing to back down until dismissed.

Trent broke the gaze and smiled at the ground. "I'll let you know when I have something for you." He pulled his gaze back up to hers. "Until then, don't screw up."

Ashley didn't respond, but took her leave. She could feel Eddie run his fingers along her still bruised back. Without thinking, she flung her fist into his face, hitting his jaw hard. His head snapped to the side, but pulled back into focus with a renewed anger.

Trent grabbed his loyal follower's fist. "Leave it." He said and nodded for Ashley to leave them.

She did without hesitation. Once out of view, she grabbed her fist and held it against herself. Pain splintered through it. A small smile lit up her face as a tear slid down. It was a small, painful choice, but way more satisfying then anyone could possibly imagine. She'd take her one small victory. It was one more chance to keep herself alive and, in a way, free.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, first time back didn't go the greatest, but could have been worse.

I don't think that storm has hit yet though. There's still time for it to get worse. Yikes!

Like, Comment, Vote :)