Chapter 31

"No, I'm sure. The best time to get Trent is when he's doing something illegal. It has to be. We have Ashley's statement. It's the break we've been waiting for, Tom." Stan had snuck away to meet Tom at his home. He knew that he needed to let him in on his plan. It was a risk coming over the border to talk with him, but he knew that Dom and Liv wouldn't let him get into much trouble if he got caught by any of Miko's guys.

"Okay then." Tom said slowly as he sat back in his chair next to the table. "If this is the best way, then I'll back you fully. Just name the time and place and I'll make sure that we catch him in the act."

Stan nodded his agreement. "Good. Thank you."

"You're my brother. You don't need to thank me. I trust you." Tom leaned forward and crossed his hands in front of him. "How's she doing? Ashley?"

"She's strong, Tom. She's hanging in there. I don't know for how long though. She seems to have gotten her second wind, but I don't know. Something seems a little off with her." Stan shrugged. He was concerned about her, but he had no doubt that she'd hang on and make it through this whole ordeal.

"With what she's been through, I don't expect anything less than her being a little off. Will that be a problem with the plan though?" He eyed his brother up carefully.

Stan could feel the scrutiny in his brother's gaze. He expected it, but didn't really welcome it. "If I thought that it'd be a problem, I wouldn't be trying to go through with this plan. I've already contacted the Police Chief to fill him in on the plan and he's on board. It's just a matter of time now."

"Okay. Just promise me that you'll watch out for her. Protect her." Tom said warily.

"She's a good kid, Tom. I'll always watch out for her for you. She does good at taking care of herself, too, though." He thought about the times that she had pinned him to the wall. To her credit, he knew that she could get herself out of tough situations if she had too. She just needed to remember to be smart and not act out.

"That she does. She's always been good at taking care of herself. Dom'll be good for her. From my understanding of his past, he's done well at doing the same thing. They'll work well together." He commented and reached down for his cup of black coffee. "I appreciate you stopping by, Stan."

"I just wanted you to know what the plan was. And that everything was good." He didn't follow Tom's comment about Dom. He agreed with him, but he wondered if that's why Ash had been off lately. He hadn't noticed her sneaking away to see him. He didn't want to speculate though.

"Well, I'm glad that you did." He got up from his chair and brought his now cold coffee to the sink. He dumped it out and filled the cup with water to prevent stains. He turned back around to face his brother. "Just be safe, okay."

Stan got up from his spot across from his brother and smiled. "You know me. I can get in and out of hell if I have too. I got this."

Tom shook his head and smiled. "You've always been the cocky one. You were also the only one to always nearly give mom a heart attack. Remember that time you crashed that motorcycle that you borrowed from Uncle Dave? She was so mad at you for making her worry so much."

Stan laughed. "Yeah, well, I've always had a knack for trouble and adventure. You've always been the safer brother." He pulled away from being near the table.

Tom walked over to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Just don't get yourself into trouble on this job, okay?"

Stan could sense the worry in his brother's voice. "I won't, Tom. I'll stay safe. You do the same. I love you, brother." He reached over to pull his brother into a hug. Every moment together was precious and they both knew it could be so easily lost. It was valuable to them.

"I love you too, brother." Tom returned the embrace before pulling away. He grabbed his cop hat from the coat rack by the door in his preparation to leave for work. "I know this is what we have to do, but I have a bad feeling about it all. Watch your back."

Stan could feel his brother's uneasiness and wondered if there was something to it. He looked down at the ground and nodded his head. He pulled his gaze back up and walked toward the door as well. "I will. You do the same. Don't do anything without back up. I don't like that Trent had Ashley come directly to you for help. It doesn't sit right. It makes you a target."

Tom stared at the door for a minute as if in deep thought before nodding slowly. "You're right. There could be something to it. But then again, maybe there's not. I'll take the same precautions as I always do. Now get back out on the streets and get this case finished." He shoved his brother out the door.

Stan laughed but did as he was told. "What's the matter, brother? Am I making you late?" He winked at him as he walked backward down the sidewalk.

Tom shook his head at his brother and ignored him. "Looks like it could rain." He looked up at the sky before focusing on walking to his squad car. "I have to get to work. Go do your job before you get rained out."

A laugh echoed out of Stan's mouth as he turned to walk back to the neighborhood that he was suppose to be in. He enjoyed teasing his brother. It made their lives continually interesting. He just prayed there was nothing to the concerns in his brother's words.

-------------------------------------------------

I can't let the storm come too quickly!!

But, I think....

The suspense is growing!

Like, Comment, Vote :)