05 | wish.

your birthday was around the corner

  your birthday was around the corner. i scanned the shops, trying to remember what you liked. what was your favourite colour again? which artist did you favour? honestly, it was impressive that i even remembered that it was your birthday.

  i was certain that you told me before. however, try as i might, i never remembered them. desperate, i plucked a simple donkey plush off the shelves.

  i had always associated you with donkeys; the same clumsiness and gentleness that only you could provide. turning the plush over, it was easy to tell that even you would not be able to resist its adorable charm.

  making my decision final, i forked up fifteen dollars for it and left the store with a small smile.

  when i presented it to you a week later, you took it from my hands and patiently unwrapped it, calculating and hopeful.

  the look of curiousity etched onto your features turned into one of excitement and joy when eeyore’s droopy eyes stared back at you.

  thank you. you had said, white teeth flashing as you looked down at me, and i never knew that two simple words could mean so much.

  thank you for even remembering that it was my birthday. you chuckled. you forgot about it last year.

  both of us cracked up, and i wanted to burn the image of you laughing freely into my mind; if i had the memory for it.

  but at least, at the very least, we did share this moment together, and that was enough for me.

joyfulweirdo.
29.10.2018.