Mommy?

Lani pov

The tension in the air grew thicker as the professionals closed in on Oscar and Lani. In a desperate attempt to avert the unfolding nightmare, Lani kicked Oscar's shin, drawing his attention.

"What the hell was that for?" Oscar snapped, but his annoyance morphed into apprehension as he noticed the approaching figures. "Can I help you?" Oscar questioned the lead lady. She responded with a fake smile, brandishing identification. "We've had anonymous calls about child abuse going on at this house, and the abuser is by the name Oscar Diaz. Do you know where we could speak to him?" The woman looked at them nervously.

"You're speaking to him," Oscar asserted, causing the woman to freeze. Another professional addressed Lani. "Does Oscar ever hurt you?" Lani laughed incredulously. "You must be crazy. Oscar is my rock. He always has my back. He'd never lay a hand on me." The woman didn't seem entirely convinced, and Lani glanced anxiously at Oscar.

"Lani Diaz," the woman said, "I'm gonna have to ask you to come with us. We're gonna question Oscar." Tears welled up in Lani's eyes as she ran to Oscar, clinging to him desperately. "I don't wanna lose you, Ossie," she cried. He held her close, promising, "We'll get through this. I promise. I ain't letting you go."

Tears continued to flow during the car ride. "Now, we've been in contact with some other family members until the issue has been resolved," the woman explained. Lani shook her head, insisting, "Oscar is my family." The woman smiled, saying, "No, we've got someone here listed as your mother, so we will take you to Ms. Diaz for a few weeks."

Lani froze, feeling her throat constricting, spots dancing before her eyes. "Lani, are you okay?" one of the women asked. She couldn't respond, and the world around her started to fade. She was on the brink of leaving Freeridge, about to lose Oscar, Mariposa, her twin brother, the squad, Jamal, and everything she held dear. And just like that, everything turned black, engulfing her in the unknown depths of her fears and uncertainties.