Twenty Two.

We talked for a while, Gilbert, Janice and me. Some was in broken English and some in German but whatever language was being used, I felt included in the conversation. It was such a nice feeling that I never got back home...

I loved this.

"Mattie," Janice turned to me, taking on the nickname Gilbert gave me, "You have not drink beer!" He gestured to the frothy mug in front of me with a welcoming smile.

I gave an apologetic laugh, beer was not my thing, but I wasn't gonna tell Janice that... He had just been too nice. "I'm sorry!" I told him and lifted the hefty glass to my lips for a sip, wincing at that smell.

Gilbert put a hand on my shoulder and leaned into my ear, "Listen, it is okay. He won't be offended if you don't want it, I'll have it." He spoke in a low tone, but Janice was distracted by the skinny woman with red hair and probably wouldn't have understood that anyway.

I was kinda relieved but still worried in case I made Janice sad. "Really? I kinda don't wanna reject his hospitality..."

Gilbert put his hand over the rim of my glass and pulled it to him. "It is probably not even in a clean glass, I do not think it is good for you. I will have it." He was just finishing his own.

I gave a sly smile. "Oh? So you just wanted my beer, was that it?" I giggled.

He waved it off. "Nein!" He turned so he could lean back against the bar, "If it was only that I would have just taken it!" He winked and I have to admit that my heart gave a little flutter.

I was about to reply when the skinny woman with red hair stepped closer to us, a sly grin on her red lips. "Oh, es ist Gilbert ... Mit einem kleinen Jungen..." Her tone as she started to speak to us was teasing, and she looked right at me... I kinda felt nervous. "Vorstellen mich, ja?" She gave a tinkling laugh and ruffled my hair.

Gilbert didn't look amused, I grabbed his arm. "Hey, what did she say?" I asked him, "Do you know her?"

He stuck his tongue out at her. It was all playful banter, but I was getting kinda stressed. "Hallo, Hexe~" He said to her before turning to me, "Mattie, this is Mika..." He hesitated for a second, "She is a hooker."

I looked to her, then back to Gilbert. Then her again. "Like a prostitute?" I tried to confirm what he just told me.

He nodded, "Ja... But she is okay. Though she does not know English."

I blinked a few times, coming to terms with it, "Oh, well... That's fine! I mean I-" I was cut off by Mika stroppily hitting Gilbert in the arm,

"Hör auf dammit! Was warden du ihm sagen?!"

Gilbert sighed. "Introducing you!" He spoke in English before going back to German, "Mattie hier ist mein Freund... Seien du nett!"

I was looking between them like I was watching tennis. It was confusing and this woman didn't seem anything like Janice... She scared me a little.

I tugged at his sleeve some more. I felt rude, but I didn't like the way this Mika was looking at me.

He put his hand over mine, "It is fine, Mattie, okay?" He gave a little wink, "I will look after you." He looked back at her.

But all her focus was suddenly on me. Mika stepped closer. Her arms suddenly around my shoulders, "Nun...Er ist Süss..." She suddenly kissed my cheek and I could smell the tobacco and weed on her as I flushed bright red. "Und er sieht reich!" Her head hung back as she laughed.

I glanced to Gilbert, looking rather frightened of the whole situation. He looked kinda peeved.

He pulled at her shoulder. "Oi!"