Twenty Four.

The three of us all exchanged looks as silence filled the room. Judas was out cold and Janice was calling the cops. We had won.

I stood up slowly; I was still unable to contemplate the scene in front of me.

I grabbed Mika and hugged her tightly; she was instrumental in what had happened... I owed her my life!

I sniffed as she hesitantly patted my back, "Thank you!" I told her, "Oh my gosh... Thank you so, so much!

I heard Gilbert stand up behind me, "Ja." He said, I don't think he really had comprehended what this meant as he told Mika she could ask us for anything or stay with us for a while if she wanted in German.

I stopped hugging her; she wore a humbled, bashful smile that looked nicer than her usual sultry expression as she thanked Gilbert.

Gilbert turned to me, clutching his arm, "We do not have long, Mattie. Janice has given an address to the police." He kicked Judas roughly, straightening him out. "Let's go!"

I watched him with worry. He had a bullet wound, it was bad for him to do all that!

I tapped his back, "Hey... How about we do that?" I asked meekly.

He shook his head stubbornly, "I can do it, Mattie!" He gave me a big sparkly wound, "Because I am the strongest!"

"Um." I looked him up and down... He looked terrible. "You have a bullet lodged in your flesh." I pointed out.

He laughed it off and waved his hand, grabbing Judas by his hands. "Come on you guys! We have to put this loser in the jail!" He beckoned Mika, who hoisted up Judas' feet so that the two were carrying him.

Fine. Gilbert was way too stubborn and we needed to be quick so I took on the role of carrying baseball bats and iron piping in case of Judas waking up, but if Gilbert showed even one sign of being weak he was going straight home. He did seem kinda indestructible though. He had countless injuries and here he was, grinning as we carried Judas off to dump him at an unknown roadside.

x++x

I watched Gilbert with as much care as I could without him telling me to keep my look out for cops or anyone who might see us and think it was kinda weird that three people were carrying a half-dead body through the streets.

Gilbert stopped. "Here is where we will leave him..." He dropped Judas carelessly and Mika let go of his legs. Gilbert looked at the crumpled body and took a deep breath.

I put a hand on his shoulder, my voice low, "You okay?" I asked sympathetically. This was a huge thing for him.

He looked at Judas for what seemed like forever before smiling at me, "Ja." He said firmly. "This is good, right? I..." He sniffed, "I do not have to worry anyone! I am free now!" He suddenly hugged me and held me tight.

I smiled and closed my eyes. "That's right. But we better get outta here, people will see."

He let go, "You are right!" He turned to Mika telling her that she could go, he'd come by to see her soon.

She gave me a wink and a wave before heading off in the direction of the bar. She would tell Janice how it went. Gilbert and I knew what we were doing; going home to try to forget this nightmare. Right after we fixed Gilbert's arm!

"Are you ready?!" I was suddenly panicking a little. "Gilbert, we have to fix that bullet wound!"

He looked at where it was oozing blood. "Uhh..." He moved the bad arm, "We have to..." He made a small noise of pain. It was maybe the adrenaline that kept him feeling okay until now.