Ch 5- Don't Let Dreams Show in Your Eyes

Katerina gasped as she woke from her deep sleep. Sweat clung to her forehead and trailed down her face in cold trickles. She took deep breaths and clutched at her chest beneath her nightgown, trying to calm her racing heart.

After a moment, she finally calmed down enough so that her heart was not racing.

She sat up and exhaled deeply. She closed her eyes and let the dream escape from her mind.

"Katerina?" a voice called in her head, the voice masculine and calming.

She looked down at the back of her ungloved hand, watching as the mark etched into her skin glowed slightly.

"Yes, Sebastian?" she replied.

"Are you alright?" Sebastian asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

"Why do you ask?" she answered Sebastian's question with one of her own.

"I connected with you just as you were calming down," Sebastian explained. "Did you have a nightmare?"

"Yes," she admitted after a moment. "I would rather not speak about it, if you please."

"Alright," Sebastian said calmingly. "I will not make you." He was silent for a moment. "Are you ready for tonight?"

She looked over at her red duffle bag sitting her desk in the corner. It contained a pair of night clothes, toiletries, and a set of clothes for the next day. It also contained all the clothes Sebastian had lent her so she could return them. "Yes."

"Are you scared?" Sebastian asked after a beat, as if sensing it when her heart rate picked up a little.

"A little," she replied.

"You do not have to be," Sebastian said soothingly. "I promise, no harm will come to you."

She stayed quiet for a while. "I believe you."

"Good," Sebastian said, a slight sigh in his voice, as if he were relieved. "I will see you tonight."

She felt Sebastian's presence leave her mind and she sighed as well. She sat there for a moment before standing up and getting ready for the day ahead.

She chose a white button down shirt with frills on the front and sleeves that fit loosely on her arms, a baby blue underbust corset with a zipper on the front, white leggings, and her blue knee high heeled boots. The outfit made her look like a pirate, but she liked the way it looked on her.

As she was dressing, she caught her back in the reflection of her mirror. Her golden wings caught the morning light as it streamed in through the open window, making her wings almost glow. The light also caught the five jagged scars running diagonally between her shoulder blades to her rib cage. She reached a hand behind her back and touched the skin there. It was soft, like the rest of her skin, since her mother helped her put lotion on it after the scabs went away. It had been painful to shower or bathe before they did, but time healed her.

She sighed and finished getting ready. After that, she pulled her thick hair into a ponytail and went downstairs, where the rest of her family was making their breakfast.

"Good morning," she smiled as she entered the kitchen.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Helena smiled, walking over and hugging her tightly. She did that a lot since her daughter returned. It was understandable, though. Her eldest child had literally been to Hell and back. She just wanted to make sure her daughter knew they would always be there for her.