Ch 6- We Will Fade Away

Katerina stared at the reflection of her abdomen in her full length mirror. She had been surprised to see her mark beginning to fully form. It now extend to the bottom of her rib cage and showed no sign of stopping, twisting and curling like ivy. By the end of the month, it would be down to her belly button.

It was hard for her to believe that five months ago, she had crossed into Hell and made it back because the Demon King found her interesting. During her visits, they had spent time just talking to each other. They shared laughs, stories, and tales of the human world.

Her birthday was next month, meaning she would finally be at full power. It was something she had once looked forward to, but now it meant the end of something she enjoyed.

She sighed as she realized what had to be done. She knew this was coming since the day her Angelic Mark began to extend, but that was no help in preparing her.

She also knew her parents were becoming suspicious and Carlotta was starting to ask questions when she went over. Not to mention that Ash was beginning to come over more and more, making it hard for her to go back and forth.

She had no choice. Tonight, when she went to Sebastian's home, she would have to tell him this would be her last time. She honestly had no desire to stop going, but at her full power other demons would be able to sniff her out whether or not she had Sebastian's blood mark. She was at a danger even now.

A tear fell and hit her shirt before she even realized she was crying.

She placed a hand to her cheek in confusion, feeling lucky that it was only one. She quickly wiped it away and finished getting ready.

Sebastian had told her during her last visit that she needed to dress warmly this time, so that was what she was doing. She was wearing a white long sleeved shirt, white jeans that hugged her ankles, and her best pair of hiking boots.

She took a deep breath and picked up her dufle bag. The top flap opened and her clothes spilled out. She was about to shove them back in when she noticed the black button down shirt and overcoat still in her bag. She had meant to give it back to Sebastian, but after he took her to that clearing with the pond, her mind had wandered and it slipped her mind.

She took the clothing out of her bag and held it for a moment. The scent of cinnamon and spice engulfed her, making her close her eyes and take it all in.

Her eyes snapped open after a moment as she realized what she was doing. She picked up the overcoat and threw both the clothes under the bed.

She stuffed her clothes in her bag and walked hurriedly out of her room, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible.

*********

"Hello, Katerina," Carlotta said after she opened her door, a slightly nervous look on her face.

"Hello, Carlotta," Katerina smiled small before noticing the look on her friends face. "Is something the matter?"

"Oh, no. I am just worried about my brother, I guess," Carlotta laughed halfheartedly. "Common in."

She walked in and was immediately shocked as she entered the living room. "What is going on here?"

Ash, Anubis, and her parents were sitting on the couch, looking at her in a mixture of concern and anger.

"We know you have been lying to us, Kat," Ash explained.

"What?" she asked, her eyes going wide before she turned to Carlotta.

"I am sorry!" Carlotta apologized, holding her hands up in surrender. "They asked me outright if you were staying the night and you know I could not lie about it."