Chapter 9 - Mates?

*Luke's P.O.V.*

Slowly, our kiss became less urgent and more... loving. I've never felt like this before -- no one but Derek has made me feel all fuzzy inside (as crazy as it sounds). Derek carressed my cheek with his nose, then dropped his head to the crook of my neck. He said, sounding muffled against my skin, "You took that way better than I thought..." He chuckled slightly, breath tickling my neck, and picked up his head to give me a kiss on the forehead.

I could feel every defense I had put up against him slowly falling down, until I felt completely and utterly exposed to him. Through that kiss, he slowly took my heart out of my chest, and held it within the palm of his hand. And after it was done he carefully put it back in for safe keeping. Right now, my lips felt swollen, my mind was running around making up for lost time, and my heart thumped loudly from where it was placed back in me.

The rain surrounding us started falling heavier, thicker, so we rushed into the car. I personally love the rain, in or out of it. It's like... it's like a new start. Like, in the Bible with Noah and the Ark, God flooded the earth for a new beginning? It just reminds me of that. Don't judge me.

Derek turned up the heat in the car, and reached over, placing his arm around my shoulders. I blushed when he smiled at me.

Hus face suddenly turned serious. "Angel, I bet you have questions. Ask away. I promise to be truthful." He looked honest. God, he's so sweet.

I bit my lip. Derek's eyes followed the motion, and they darkened just the slightest bit. I hesitantly asked, "Are there more of you? I mean, did you come here with a... a pack? Is that what it's called?"

Derek chuckled. "Yes. I came here with my pack." He smiled at me lovingly. He reached across and brushed his thumb against my lower lip. He said, "I love how innocent you are. It's cute." 

I blushed. "Thanks?" He smiled wider. That smile seemed to make my heart grow a little bit. I cleared my throat. "Um... Are you, like, crazy when the full moon comes?"

Derek shook his head. "No. But when the full moon comes I become a little more... affectionate, for lack of a better term." He smiled slowly at me and it took me a while to figure out what he meant.

I looked away and said, "Oh! Um, okay." I was already blushing, but I bet that if I wasn't I would be now. I asked, "Um... What does our "connection" have to do with you being a werewolf?"

He sighed. "I don't know how your going to take this but...." He made eye contact with me and leaned closer. "When you're a werewolf... you get... a mate."

What's a mate? Before I could voice my thoughts, Derek said, "Before you ask, a mate is someone who is made for you. They are your other half. They complete you. And Luke... We're mates."

I opened my mouth, but closed it a second later. I'm his other half? That thought stirred something within me. I said, "So... this feeling I get when we touch... hell, when I'm even near you... is because we're... Mates?" He nodded. I continued, "So.. we're meant for each other?" He nodded again. So many thoughts started running through my head, I closed my eyes.

Derek reached across and turned my head towards him. "Please look at me."

I kept my eyes closed. I really needed to think this through. I whispered, "I need to think about this..."

Derek pleaded, "Please, Angel, don't hate me! I don't know what I'll do if you hated me... Just please, talk to me about this! Give me a chance, please Angel..." I slowly looked at him and got lost in his sad green eyes.

I whispered, "Okay..." He grinned at me. Leaning over to kiss me, Derek pushed my hair away from my eyes.

*Warning: It kinda gets Steamy ;D Like at a PG-13 level, but if you feel uncomfortable, WHY ARE YOU READING THIS STORY?*