Fear and Triumph

When I was still in elementary school I used to say that I feared nothing, not a damn thing was going to put fear into my system. But then reality hit me and my grandpa on my dad's side passed away when I was still in the seventh grade. He was my mentor, he taught me everything I know about being a man. He taught me my manners, and how to respect others. I do sometimes consider myself an asshole but all of my nice qualities are because of my grandpa, even my sense of humour came from him.

Before he passed, he gave me one last piece of advice that I will never forget. He grabbed my hand and said to me "Tanner, if you give up, you're only punishing yourself." and those words are the reason that I'm where I am today. Those words inspire me everyday to get out of bed and make the best out of everyday and make him proud. He is my hero and I can only hope to be even half the man he was.

I looked up to people like Batman, Spider-Man and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because the worlds they live in provide an escape from the harsh reality that we all live in. But as much as I look up to those heroes they are nothing compare to my grandpa who was and to me still is a REAL hero, he was a firefighter longer than I can remember and I always was so impressed because he had the guts to run into burning buildings on a daily basis, risking his life for complete strangers.

I will always think highly of my grandpa because I see him as someone who's greater than Superman. In my eyes we need more people like my grandpa, we need more heroes, not every hero wears a cape and mask, the real ones wear badges and uniforms.