Chapter Seventeen

The ride to Scarlett's house was quiet. Scarlett sat in the passengers' seat while  Olivia drove and Jack sat in the back. Scarlett didn't speak at all. Olivia looked over at her busted up friend every now and then to make sure she was okay. Once they got to the house Scarlett got out of the car and Olivia sighed. "Is she okay?" Olivia looked back at Jack than to Scarlett who was standing outside with her eyes closed. "Yeah, buddy. She's okay, she's had a really hard day." Olivia grabs Scarlett's bag and gets out of the car and walks with Jack to the front door. She takes her keys and unlocked the front door and Scarlett was the first person to enter then Jack, then Olivia. 

"Do you need any help?" Scarlett shook her head as she grabbed her side, walking down the hall and into the bathroom. Olivia sighs and sets Scarlett's bag on the couch then places a hand on Jack's head. "Need any help with homework?" Jack nods and Olivia follows him to the table so she can help him with whatever he needs while his mom has time for herself.

 Scarlett shut the door and locked it. She collapses on her knees in front of the toilet, throwing up whatever was in her stomach, the images of the door splattered in Lewis's body and blood making her feel sick. Scarlett pulls away and stands up with a groan and turns, catching a glimpse of herself in the mirror that hangs on the wall in the bathroom. She looked horrible. Her hair a mess, face scratched up with blood dripping down the side of it and her white shirt was covered in blood and dust. Bloodshot eyes stare back at her and she backs up until her back hits the bathroom door. 

Scarlett feels her chest tightening up and a familiar feeling bubbling in her stomach. It's starting to get hard to breathe and her vision blurs slightly as all hearing leaves her. She places her hand on the wall and turns her back to it as she starts to feel her knees getting weak. Scarlett slides down the wall until she's sitting on the floor. 

Matt kneels down in front of her and says something but she can't hear him. "Can you hear me?" Matt repeats.

Scarlett blinks her eyes, tears falling down her cheeks. She nods and closes her eyes. 

"Okay, Scar. What are you sitting on right now?" Matt asks and Scarlett looks at him, her whole body shaking. "Come on, Scarlett. What are you sitting on?"

"The ground," She breathes, her voice distant in her ears. She leans her head back, trying to remember everything Matt had said before.

Matt nods. "What is the ground made of?"

"Title," She whispers, glancing at the ground to make sure she was right and she was. 

"Okay, so what do you think is under the tile?"

"A concrete base."

"Good. What is your back touching?"

"The Wall." She squeezes her eyes close, trying to picture her brothers face.

"And what is the wall made of?"

"It's drywall." 

Matt nods, a smile on his face.

She could picture his smile perfectly. She missed his smile. 

"The ground," Matt starts, placing his fingertips on the cool tile. Scarlett reaches down and touches her bathroom floor, just now feeling the coolness of the tiles against her fingertips. "Is solid. The wall," He reaches out a hand to touch the wall beside Scarlett's head. She takes her hand away from the tile and reaches behind her, touching the wall.  "Is solid." Matt places his hand on Scarlett's shoulder. Scarlett lets a tear escape, wishing he was really here so she could feel him. Fell his warmth, smell his cologne, just to feel her brother here with her again. Be really here, not just in her head.