Chapter 24

Tony figures he simply does not need sleep because he is running on adrenaline. The four of them work around the clock. The gauntlet is easy to make. A simple glove with six slots.

The quantum tunnel is another story. In order for it to work as a time travel machine, work must be done inside the quantum realm. Scott finds ways to push together a time vortex, but it's highly unpredictable.

The machine is calibrated not to shrink, but to change the time one lives in. By the time it is testing day, everyone is exhausted and ready for it all to be over with.

The Avengers gather around a desk which is behind a glass panel protecting them if something goes wrong. Scott is going through first, scheduled to go only minutes into the past.

"You ready Scott?" Tony asks. He gives a thumbs up. Cassie smiles at him from Rhodey's back, which she is currently riding like a horse.

Shuri hits a switch and the machine starts to whir, particles of orange and blue coming from the tunnel.

"It's working," Bruce says in wonder.

"Turn it up," Tony commands Shuri. She complies, and that's when things go wrong.

"Tony," he hears a weak voice from Bruce. He falls onto the floor and starts violently convulsing, streaks of green traveling up his neck and head.

"Turn it off!" Tony yells at Shuri in panic, falling to his knees beside Bruce. "Bruce, buddy, your ok."

Shuri runs over and starts reading his vital signs while he still shakes on the floor. His eyes are turning a mix of his normal color and green. They are completely helpless and there is nothing they can do but try and calm Bruce down as he turns into the Hulk.

They step away because now there is a Hulk lying helpless on the floor.

"Hulk, my friend," Thor says, stepping toward him and placing a hand on his shoulder, "Are you well?"

Tony can see Hulk's eyes open. Normally, when Bruce is Hulk, his eyes are emerald green, but this time they are his normal eye color. Hulk looks extremely disoriented. He looks down at his hands and body in bewilderment. He looks at Tony.

"Tony?" He says, but it's not Hulk's voice at all.

It's Bruce's.