Part 8

(Leonardo's POV)

I couldn't stop pacing in my room as thoughts raced through my head. So many things had gone wrong today - and it was ending now with our charge on a bed fighting off poison. When I had accepted this job as the leader of my brothers, I assumed it was to take care of the stubborn, rebellious girl I had grew up with. What I hadn't expected was how much she had grown up and changed since we last spoke on that infamous night. I never would have guessed that the world would turn her into what she was now.

I let out a breath of stress as I attempted to calm my nerves. Today had been bad - really bad. But tomorrow, I would have a plan in action - one that would ensure nothing like this ever happened again. She probably would hate it, but it would be foolproof.

I rang the staff to bring me a light dinner, deciding to eat within the silence of my room to wind down from the nerve-racking events of today. It eased my mind knowing that Donnie was able to get her a cure for the toxins that were slowly strangling her life away. My shift would be the last of the night - allowing me to get a chance to see advancement on Anya's recovery first thing tomorrow morning.

Tiredly, I changed into my night clothes and had dinner a few minutes later. I sat out my suit for tomorrow, and sent for one of the staff to have my shoes and tie cleaned of the old blood from earlier today.

Splinter's gonna have one hell of a report.

(Raphael's POV)

I had first watch tonight. The halls were practically empty except for the odd staff member cleanin' up the area or dustin' off the lights. Normally, makin' my rounds were a breeze... but after the whole fiasco today, I guess everyone's on an edge.

Pacin' the halls, I kept an eye out for anythin' off as I made my way to the infirmary door. I rapped the door quietly with my knuckle, Donnie's face poppin' out from a crack in the door a few moments after.

Donnie spoke softly but to the point, "Right on time Raph. I have her resting comfortably now, but I got word from Leo that there's a change of plans for watch while she's in here. You'll be inside the infirmary."

I nodded silently, steppin' inside the room once Donnie opened the door wider.

I could smell strong antiseptics the moment I stepped through the door. I resisted the urge to cough, the scent burning the insides of my nose.

"Damn, Donnie... Ya' could raise the dead with whatever that smell's comin' from," I complained, catchin' a glimpse of our charge - she looked enough like a livin' corpse.

"I'd prefer not to have to test that theory." Donnie replied, goin' back over to Anya and givin' her another dose of thick substance from a vial.

"How often does she have to take that concoction, D?"

"Every hour... any more and she begins to pale more."

"And her... freaky thing?"

"It's almost like it'd vanished... it hasn't elicited a response or tried to protect her at all."

I looked surprised, even as a kid she had that thing coddlin' around her. My brothers and I would end up with ugly cuts on our hands from tryin' ta' get too close for her comfort when we first took her in. It was unnatural for the thing to not be goin' ballistic while she's unconscious.

I walked quietly back to my post, puttin' my back to the door. I crossed my arms, my sai flippin' casually through my fingers as my eyes trained on Donnie as he constantly went back and forth between the table, books, and his patient. I took a moment to watch the Madame - her breath was deep as her chest rose and fell at a steady pace.

I hoped she'd be up soon, this quiet was deafenin'.