Part 9

(No One's POV) 

Several weeks later...

The sun barely began to rise through the window as Donnie started dozing off in a chair behind a table full of vials and other things. His brother, Leo, had just arrived at his post nearly half an hour ago. The eldest brother looked alert as he scanned the room, glancing at Rayne every so often to allow his brother to sleep before morning guard. Rayne herself was still recovering, though some improvements had been made to allow her some sort of consciousness. Her eyes cracked open, and nearly cost her all her strength. 

The view wasn’t as clear as she would like it, but at least it was a start. Anya could see she was inside the infirmary that she had built after a nasty feud broke out and the hospitals quote, “Took too much damn time to fix her men up.” But in all honesty, she was right. Her men needed to be up and ready as soon as possible, and keeping everything localized was the best strategy. Anya's head pounded, a stern reminder that whatever was put in her system was still a good ways away from getting out. 

The madame had indeed been listening throughout the day yesterday - as well as a few days between the brawl and today, mostly to Don's musings as he prepared more of the horrid antidote - but at some point she heard Michael - along with bits and parts of Leo and Raph's conversations. But being able to do more than listen would be an improvement. She spent a few minutes watching the third-eldest brother read a medical book from the shelf, studying his demeanor. 

Donatello, on the other hand, was not as observant as he read the book in detail. His mind was buzzing with new information on toxins and antidotes, but still keeping an eye on his brother as he watched the door. Several of the staff had brought them dinner during the long, grueling night - but it didn't take long for Leo to send them away. The nurses were long since at home, letting the spectacle-wearing brother know where most of the materials were located. 

As for the final body in the room, he was was ticking down the minutes left of his post. His shift was rather dull, and he was relieved to know that he could take a short nap after being up during ungodly hours of the morning. He could see his younger brother dozing off, but struggling to stay awake to read as he walked up towards the two other people in the room.

“Don, get some sleep. You're no use being exhausted. I'm sure Anya will be fine for a few hours.”

The spectacle-wearing brother nodded sleepily, trodding off to his room by the laboratory downstairs. He muttered something to the tune of a goodnight before leaving the area - leaving just Leo, his ward, and the odd nurse or two inside the room for the early bird shift. 

The eldest brother looked at his charge’s form, looking surprised as he watched her eyes watch him.

“Good to see you're awake, Madame. I guess your nurses weren't kidding when they said you were tenacious.” 

(Anya's POV)

I gave him what looked like a smile, my body too drained to fully commit due to the strain the poison had put on me. I looked at my reflection, my eyes as grey as Michael had predicted the few weeks before, looking practically corpse-like. I looked at Blue, motioning towards the small cup of water on the nightstand beside the medical bed just a few inches out of reach. After a couple of seconds, he caught on and hurried to the side, helping me sit up. 

“Take it easy, Anya. Let me help.”

Once he had me upright enough for his satisfaction, he brought the cup to my lips - a hand on my back to steady my body. The cool liquid felt refreshing compared to the god-awful antidote and feeding tube combination. I had half a mind to just gulp it down greedily, but then again, I don't know just how bad of a condition my stomach is in currently. But too soon enough, the cup was emptied. My parched throat felt minor relief, and that was progress in my book.

I could feel Leo's assessing gaze on me for a few moments before he set me back down. 

“You know, I don't think Donnie ever bandaged your cut - how are you not dead?” 

I willed a tendril to materialize, albeit with difficulty, giving him the picture since my throat was still raw. The wispy entity dragged forward, nearing Leo. However, I kept that intention on a thick, short leash. Nasty things happen to people when I'm injured. 

“It… healed you? I thought you said you can't heal yourself without someone else taking the - oh… that's why the chauffeur collapsed.” 

I nodded weakly, quickly dispelling the lone wisp. My abilities felt sluggish as they aided the antidote to fight off and burn out the toxin that ransacked my body. Had it gotten to my heart… well - it's best not to think of the matter.

"I remember you using us when you'd get hurt while we were kids. You'd come into the manor with badly scaped knees and suddenly those tendrils would wrap around us and you'd heal while we all got a few tiny scrapes. We were happy to do it though… anything for family." 

I watched as his body relaxed as he recounted memories of our youth, his expression happy and at peace despite the situation. These moments, especially ones like this, are the things I missed the most when I left. 

I drank another few glasses of water before clearing my throat, hopefully getting words out. 

"I-I… I missed you all," I started, looking at him with a soft smile. "The moment I stepped out of my old home… I wanted to take back my words and come back. But I promised your father… and I would not been seen as a coward in front of the pigs and hogs that hoarded the city like the greedy beasts they were."

I looked away, my smile faltering at the feeling of shame for the mistakes I made.