Part 10

"I'm sure he would be proud to see all the work you've done, and that you've learned from your mistakes," Leo replied - as if he had read my mind.

"I've made way too many mistakes, Leo. Especially as of recently. Normally Wesley and my boys would have advised me on outings… would've scouted them out weeks ago. But since Splinter decided to change my system, things have been dangerous. They should be doing their job, not training my underlings like some second-rate lackeys." I let out a sigh through my nose, clearly irritated.

Leo looked surprised, one of his non-existent eyebrows lifting in either confusion, curiosity, or both.

"I can't say I understood, Anya… what do you mean?"

"I have a system, a place for everything and everything in it's place. The moment Splinter asked me to add you four as my guard and give him Wesley and the others - I knew things were going to head south. That's the one thing that irritates me most - when people just undermine my authority just because I'm connected somehow."

I saw Leo's face turn into guilt as I spoke - I didn't mean to cause it, but it's been a damn long time since I've been able to safely spill my thoughts to someone other than my mind.

Leo looked at me, eyes soft like he used to when we were kids.

"Do you remember what I said the night before you left us?"

How could I not? It haunted my dreams for weeks after I stepped out those doors…

I took a breath, "Whatever the cost, I'll-"

"-I'll be there for you… all you have to do is call for me."

I hated those words, yet- it felt nice that they were said aloud - not echoing off the walls of my mind.

"You could've stopped me, you know - any of you could've. One sentence telling me to stay and I would've," I muttered.

Leo appeared to be interested in reading the labels of the medicine, "I know… but something told me that you would have regretted not splitting off from the clan."

The silence between us became awkwardly tense, waiting for the next shift to arrive until I could move on my own again. I quickly looked at the clock, the time reaching close to the next watch hour. The quiet of the infirmary allowed me to hear the exhaustion on Leo's breath, the resistance of relaxing in his posture as he sat, handgun at his side while his hands carefully sat in the armrests of the chair.

God, this was weird.

It wasn't soon enough when the eldest brother stood at the door and muttered something to the other side, Raph strutting in with a quick stretch of his arms. Blue silently took another glance at me before exiting, hopefully going to get some rest before starting up whatever the hell he was planning on implementing within my ranks.

"Hopefully the next time ya' decide on gettin' nicked, Anya - Ya' let us know beforehand. I never wanna deal with this kinda infirmary watch bullshit again," Raph quipped - taking the still-warm seat his older brother had previously.

"Remind me to add that to my list of things to do once I can get out of here." I jabbed, trying to bullshit normalcy.

"Unfortunately, until then - yer' stuck with us motherin' ya'. Leo's new management isn't gonna be any more pleasant once yer' up n' runnin' again."

I huffed a breath of irritation, remembering the times I'd get sick and they'd baby my sorry ass to the point of suffocation. 

"If it's anything like the past, I'll beat you all within an inch." 

"Not with the condition you're in - you can barely hold up a cup by yourself."

I glared daggers at the terrapin, irritated with the comment. Yes, I was still healing, but damn - no need to make it obvious.

"If I had it my way, I'd be in the cellar training and burning this disgusting shit out of me. Unfortunately, the moment I'd let loose - I'd roast myself alive. So, if you really want me to give Leo a reason to thrash you, I'd suggest you keep telling me how inept I am at the moment," I snarled, a boiling flash of anger flickering awake.

If anyone other than Red had laughed at my threat- I would've strutted straight down and done just that, just to spite them.

But he chuckled, a knowing look on his face. He would've been going stir-crazy too if he were in my situation.

"Easy there, I'm just messin' with ya'," he interjected. "I know it ain't the best thing to just be sittin' here and doin' nuthin' but starin' at the walls - but until Donnie says it's okay for ya' ta' start walkin' again, yer' stuck with this."

I let an irritated sigh through my nose.

"I'd be fine. Just a little training or mediation would at least help me get my siphon back up to snuff - it's been weeks," I countered, curling my toes to at least get some restlessness out of me.

Red let out a similar sigh to my own, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

"... Fine, I'll talk with Leo and Donnie to see if we can get ya' at least out of bed. I know you'll just keep naggin' us until then anyways, but ya' gotta promise me you'll stay in one piece."

I rolled my eyes, huffing a ghost of a laugh, "No promises, but I'll try."

The smirk on his face told me everything I needed to know.